Plans for my next project need suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Plans for my next project need suggestions

racinhound-Dale

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis,IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 2dr with some dents
I plan on putting D60's frt and rear with a spool in the rear and ARB in the front with 38's all around (have all this already). Motor will be 4.0 with a list of mods a mile long and the tranny will be c4/c5 bellhousing AtlasII t-case. Coils on all 4 corners w/3-link to get bout 6" lift. Rockram Steering with the frame all boxed in around the gearbox. And getting quite creative on the body, the fenders are going away all together and being replaced by a full Exo cage. The top I am still playing with but maybe something like this or just losing it all togehter and coming up with a frame and redneck convertible type thingy.

dales_exploder_normal.jpg

So whadda ya think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hehe, sounds awesome.... Also sounds like yer trying to compete with Riff ;) I also like it cause I'm sure I'll go wheelin with ya in Attica!
Pete

Oh yea and Glass Half doors if there ever gets to be 10 people that want them. :rolleyes:

LOL....sounds like we're gonna have some sorta competition once both of ya have finished yer trucks :)
Pete

DUDE THATS EXACTLY HOW I WANNT CHOP MY TOP! That is cool man! LOL I am drooling.... I am just waiting to even start and major mods to mine until someday when I have all major parts gathered.

Originally posted by RFR2212
LOL....sounds like we're gonna have some sorta competition once both of ya have finished yer trucks :)
Pete

pffft maybe a ROLLOVER competition from what I have seen outta him!!:D :cool:

Originally posted by rpenner54
DUDE THATS EXACTLY HOW I WANNT CHOP MY TOP! That is cool man! LOL I am drooling.... I am just waiting to even start and major mods to mine until someday when I have all major parts gathered.

Only thing I am trying to figure out now is if I can come up with a convertible frame and top that might work. If I can find something that will work half-way decent then probably lose the whole top.

LMAO! Either that or to see who can burry them selves in the biggest mud bog, and take in the most water in the interior....He does that quite well too! Oh also, then at the camp fire... Killians.... there's a competition :p
Pete

Originally posted by RFR2212
Oh also, then at the camp fire... Killians.... there's a competition :p
Pete

:drool: :drool: Now there is a competition I am interested in. :D :D

If you chop the back you would have to do someything with the tailgate. Maybe put on a truck tail gate instead or a bronco style gate with roll up glass. Also, if you chop the whole top you would have to do some major frame reinforcing to compensate.

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, just make a few suggestions.

Originally posted by CougarX

I'm not trying to discourage anyone, just make a few suggestions.

Nah not taken that way at all. I agree and have thought about both of those points and plan on compensating for both with tubing. Actually what I have in mind is going to look very little like an Explorer at all.:)

If your going with rear coils might as well move the axle back about 5-6 inches to get better depature angles.

Originally posted by rpenner54
If your going with rear coils might as well move the axle back about 5-6 inches to get better depature angles.

Hmmmmm yea hadn't thought about that but excellent idea thanks.

I like the top

I think the choppped top looks really good. The tailgate is something - but not too hard to overcome. I dont think the frame would need any reinforcement- the X is frame on body not Uni Body so shouldnt be a big deal. I would add a cage though.

I think it looks sharp.

Go For it.

From the few BII sites that have info on chopping the top I have gathered a few bits and peices. A Ranger tailgate will fit, you just have to get the hardware put in to make it work. No biggie on a project like this. :) If you want to go cheap on the body work you can get those shiny diamond plate bed caps to fit over the area right above the window where you chop. Again this was for a BII so it should be close with the Explorer.

I'm pretty sure that a Ranger tailgate won't fit; too narrow. There was a guy on the board with a '91 that he had chopped the rear window off to make kind of a Sport Trac, and he didn't have a rear gate since he couldn't find one to fit. You might be able to cut down the tailgate from a fullsize Bronco or F-truck, though. :smoke:

Back