plastic sound dampener on the rear hatch strike plate | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

plastic sound dampener on the rear hatch strike plate

1999 Explorer, The plastic sound dampener on the rear hatch strike plate broke off on one side and stopped the hatch from shutting all the way. Another is broke on the drivers door but other then a more mechanical sound it does not seem to effect anything. Does anyone know if that piece of plastic/nylon replaceable? Or, would I have to replace the strick plate?

Thanks, Jeff

What a POC!

I think it's a pretty common problem. LMC Trucks has them. I think you need to buy the whole striker...about $25.

Found/bought @ NAPA something called "tailgate striker bolt bushing kit". That fixed the tailgate. They did not have ones that fit the doors, I think I will try to make something for them.

Parts stores have the striker bushings in the HELP! section of red/boxed parts. There's a multi-pack of various striker bushings, two for Fords, which fit great on either the door or hatch strikers. You can also buy the entire assembly in the HELP! section too if needed, but generally it's just the plastic bushings that crack and fall off.

one of mine broke, and cause of the unbalance force when closing the hatch, the other one went in like 4 days, in the meantime, i just rolled some electrical tape around the striker, and found a pack containing 4 bushings in autozone, 2 long ones and two shorter ones, it is only labeled as ford striker bushings, pretty cheap, like 2$, the larger ones fit exactly around the striker bolt, they are gray and not white like the oem´s, but they do the job, and if another one failas, you can always use the two short ones that are left to fashion another long one. Hope this helps.

Back