• Register Today It's free!

Platinum - Price paid?

ScottMZ3

Reaction score
City, State
Roseville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 BMW M-Coupe
Hi! Been reading the forum for a couple months now as my wife is dead set on a new 2016 Platinum as her next car. Quick question, what sort of price have people been able to negotiate for their Platinums? It seems dealers are all over the place! Some don't seem to budge past $500 off MSRP, others will do a couple thousand under MSRP.

Has anyone got one for under Invoice? FYI, we are in Northern California. Specifically we are looking for a White Platinum with the Ceramic color interior and 2nd row bucket seats w/center console as the only options.

Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi! Been reading the forum for a couple months now as my wife is dead set on a new 2016 Platinum as her next car. Quick question, what sort of price have people been able to negotiate for their Platinums? It seems dealers are all over the place! Some don't seem to budge past $500 off MSRP, others will do a couple thousand under MSRP.

Has anyone got one for under Invoice? FYI, we are in Northern California. Specifically we are looking for a White Platinum with the Ceramic color interior and 2nd row bucket seats w/center console as the only options.

Thanks!!

I ordered my custom X Sport, white platinum on December 12th. You should be able to knock off about 5K off MSRP or at least 10% because they will be releasing 2017's sometimes in summer. My sport was 49+k, I got it for 44K.

I ordered my custom X Sport, white platinum on December 12th. You should be able to knock off about 5K off MSRP or at least 10% because they will be releasing 2017's sometimes in summer. My sport was 49+k, I got it for 44K.

Thanks! We will aim for about 10% as our goal. :)

Was able to get a little over 1000 under invoice. MSRP was 54 and will pay 49k when it arrives. It is a platinum with only all weather mats added on. It included 950 rebate and 500 lease return rebated so after taking them out of the equation it was aprox 1k under invoice.

Picked up my wife's 2016 Explorer Platinum today. I paid $48,747. No captain's chairs.

2016 Explorer Platinum, how much below MSRP?

Hi All, new here. I did some searching on this and only found some replies around January, looking for some more up to date info?

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=440110&highlight=MSRP

With the 2017 starting production soon (guessing August/September dealer availability??) How much under MSRP should I be shooting for in negotiations on a 16 plat?

The nice thing about the plat is it has everything so the only option we are buying will be the tricoat and the 2nd row buckets.

So MSRP is right around 55.

Im being told "rock bottom prices" are like 51-51.5 with dealership discount and the 950 cash back included.

Honestly... that sounds very high for end of the year models to me? The bucket seats are harder to find but I have options as in in north east PA and can shop anywhere from central Pa to Jersey and NY to Maryland within 100 miles.

So the question... What is a reasonable discount off MSRP for this time of year?
Has anyone purchased a plat recently? If so, how much off MSRP did you negotiate?

I dont think we will be able to wait for the 2017 to become available but im assuming they prob would come with like 500 cash back and similar dealership discounts? So not much more than the 16? (correct me if im wrong...)

The dealership swears to me... that their pricing is set until June 3rd so no point in waiting for end of month/holiday in the US... We can play this game but like I said, the bucket seats are a little tough to find so we cant play it too hard.

Thoughts?
Thanks

I purchased in March. 2016 Platinum no bucket seats, but was able to negotiate $2500 under invoice. Gap between invoice and MSRP on my vehicle was about $2,310, so a total off MSRP was just under $5000. I also got perma plate and all weather floor mats thrown in for free. We started negotiations at $700 under invoice plus all Ford applicable rebates (at the time was $950 from Ford and $500 for first responders) Hope this helps.

I purchased in March. 2016 Platinum no bucket seats, but was able to negotiate $2500 under invoice. Gap between invoice and MSRP on my vehicle was about $2,310, so a total off MSRP was just under $5000. I also got perma plate and all weather floor mats thrown in for free. We started negotiations at $700 under invoice plus all Ford applicable rebates (at the time was $950 from Ford and $500 for first responders) Hope this helps.

thank you, this does help. With the tricoat and the buckets Edmunds tells me invoice for my zip is 51.8 (55.2 MSRP). Their first offer to me was 51.233 including the 950 rebate. So it sounds like there is some room to work?

Am I being realistic looking for considerable savings past their first offer (like ~49K ish)?

Do we know when dealers will start seeing the 17's giving them more incentive to move remaining 16 stock?

Deleted...the thread was merged with another one and my reply already here

thank you, this does help. With the tricoat and the buckets Edmunds tells me invoice for my zip is 51.8 (55.2 MSRP). Their first offer to me was 51.233 including the 950 rebate. So it sounds like there is some room to work?

Am I being realistic looking for considerable savings past their first offer (like ~49K ish)?

Do we know when dealers will start seeing the 17's giving them more incentive to move remaining 16 stock?

Ask the dealer to see the DORA.. if they won't show you then move on to another dealership. The DORA shows MSRP, their true invoice as well as advertising and fuel charge that the dealer gets charged (true cost of vehicle). Invoice on the DORA is a good deal plus rebates.

feaef802-d11e-4838-bb4e-5bacc91fec68_zpsde77ljj0.jpg

Dealer deserves to make money on a vehicle so I personally would not walk away from Invoice. 17s won't be out for a few months so I'm sure they won't have issues unloading the 16s. At invoice, they are making about $1,600 off of you. If you were selling $55,000 items, would you think it is fair to make $1,500 off that? They are not in business to lose money.

I just went to Ford.com and they show the following so it seems that the rebates are better then what you thought they were.

0% for 72 months plus $1,000 cash rebate (rarely see 72 months at 0%.. this is a fantastic deal).

OR

$950 rebate + $1,000 bonus cash.

Both expire 5/31.

Welcome to the Forum Hoots711. :wavey:
I'm guessing that pricing is set until June because the 2017 models will begin production June 6th and likely start arriving at the dealers toward the end of July. Explorers are a popular vehicle so even toward the end of the model year I'm not surprised that there are no deep discounts. Once the 2017's start rolling out and showing up on dealer lots then the buyer may be able to negotiate a better deal. I asked my dealer about the price on a Platinum and was quoted $58,500 which was $3000 below MRSP. That was without any kind of negotiation.
BTW, your thread was merged with this existing one on more or less the same topic. Happy shopping. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Ask the dealer to see the DORA.. if they won't show you then move on to another dealership. The DORA shows MSRP, their true invoice as well as advertising and fuel charge that the dealer gets charged (true cost of vehicle). Invoice on the DORA is a good deal plus rebates.

feaef802-d11e-4838-bb4e-5bacc91fec68_zpsde77ljj0.jpg

Dealer deserves to make money on a vehicle so I personally would not walk away from Invoice. 17s won't be out for a few months so I'm sure they won't have issues unloading the 16s. At invoice, they are making about $1,600 off of you. If you were selling $55,000 items, would you think it is fair to make $1,500 off that? They are not in business to lose money.

I just went to Ford.com and they show the following so it seems that the rebates are better then what you thought they were.

0% for 72 months plus $1,000 cash rebate (rarely see 72 months at 0%.. this is a fantastic deal).

OR

$950 rebate + $1,000 bonus cash.

Both expire 5/31.

Are you sure these rebates are for all the explorers?
http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/incentives/ (zip 18964)

The only retail offer im seeing is on the 2.3L Eco. (so not on the Plat...)

Under financing im seeing 950 cash or 0%x72... but they cannot be combined.

And yes... Im fine with the dealer making his bank. Im just trying to not give any more away than I have to... (arnt we all). It sounds like 5K under MSRP (50 even?) is a good starting point for the discussion if nothing else.

At the end of the day, they will either do the deal or they wont.

Welcome to the Forum Hoots711. :wavey:
I'm guessing that pricing is set until June because the 2017 models will begin production June 6th and likely start arriving at the dealers toward the end of July. Explorers are a popular vehicle so even toward the end of the model year I'm not surprised that there are no deep discounts. Once the 2017's start rolling out and showing up on dealer lots then the buyer may be able to negotiate a better deal. I asked my dealer about the price on a Platinum and was quoted $58,500 which was $3000 below MRSP. That was without any kind of negotiation.
BTW, your thread was merged with this existing one on more or less the same topic. Happy shopping. :):thumbsup:

Peter

Thanks.

You may be right. But im also guessing (because the dealer let it slip that they just talked about this in their morning meeting) that they know customers think (if nothing else) that prices will be better at the end of the month combined with the holiday.... and are trying to make sales before then.

Like I mentioned, as im dealing with limited inventory, I cant play around with it too much but i find it very hard to believe that the end of the month combined with the holiday wont see some price cuts. (i could be wrong of course...)

For what it is worth, my wife and I were out test driving at the end of last month (Buick/Acura/Toyota/Jeep/Nissan/Honda) and there were some crazy deals going on. I know the "end of the month" is a bit of a cliche' in the car world but we def saw dealers willing to make deals at the end of April.

I don't think $49k is unattainable at all! I wouldn't pay more than that at all.

Hoots711 if you'll take the buckets with console in a white I may be able to help you, pm me when you get a chance.

Hoots711 if you'll take the buckets with console in a white I may be able to help you, pm me when you get a chance.

Thanks AlexK.

Unfortunately we hate the 2nd row console. Seems to completely negate that benefit of the buckets. If Ford made it removable it would be a feature we would def be interested in but have read that removing it leaves a big hole in the floor/carpet.

Do you mind suggesting a target price for the 55.2 MSRP model that is both fair to consumer and dealer?
Thanks

Thanks AlexK.

Unfortunately we hate the 2nd row console. Seems to completely negate that benefit of the buckets. If Ford made it removable it would be a feature we would def be interested in but have read that removing it leaves a big whole in the floor/carpet.

Do you mind suggesting a target price for the 55.2 MSRP model that is both fair to consumer and dealer?
Thanks
Some members say that the Husky 3rd row floor liner will cover that area. Can't verify that though. This thread mentions that; http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=365873
There were also pictures of the area with the console removed, however, as often happens when members use 3rd party picture posting services, the pictures have disappeared.

Peter

Are you sure these rebates are for all the explorers?
http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/incentives/ (zip 18964)

The only retail offer im seeing is on the 2.3L Eco. (so not on the Plat...)

Under financing im seeing 950 cash or 0%x72... but they cannot be combined.

And yes... Im fine with the dealer making his bank. Im just trying to not give any more away than I have to... (arnt we all). It sounds like 5K under MSRP (50 even?) is a good starting point for the discussion if nothing else.

At the end of the day, they will either do the deal or they wont.

Looking at the fine print:

-------
"$950 Customer Cash (PGM #12912 ) + $500 2.3L EcoBoost Bonus Cash (PGM #12920 ) + $1,000 Smart Bonus Cash (PGM #35562 ). Not all buyers will qualify for Ford Credit financing. 0% APR financing for 72 months at $13.89 per month per $1,000 financed regardless of down payment (PGM #20734 ). Smart Bonus Cash vehicle supply is limited. See dealer for availability. For all offers, take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 5/31/16. See dealer for qualifications and complete details."
-------
The 2.3L ecoboost has it's own program number #12920 for $500. So I interpret this as you are entitled to

$950 #12912
and
$1,000 #35562

Or

You give up the #12912 of $950 in turn for the 0% for 72 months and are still entitled to the $1,000 # 35562.

Because they specifically list the $500 as a 2.3L ecoboost rebate, the fact they don't list the other 2 as a 2.3L requirement makes me believe you are entitled to them.

Unfortunately not every explorer qualifies for the $1000 smart bonus cash, only the oldest units in stock and that's only 10% of total inventory. So for example I have 20 explorers and only 2 with the smart tag bonus on them.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I paid $49K for mine + $750 bonus cash and 0% APR. There was another bonus cash offer at $1000 but it couldn't be combined with the 0% APR. I ordered mine and waited about 6 weeks for it. I just took delivery at the beginning of the month.

Back