Platinum Test Drive

TBill

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Prescott, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Platinum
Well my local dealer finally has a 2020 Platinum on the lot, got to test drive it yesterday. I like the new layout in the driver's seat, the door seems closer than my'14, easier to rest your left arm on the arm rest. It had the upgraded technology package which I do want, screen seemed large but not that obtrusive. The rear 3rd row folding seats are a better layout than my '14, no more rolling them into the well, it allows for wider room back there when all the seats are folded flat. The 2nd row console is low, but I only occasionally have passengers in that area, so no big deal. Engine seemed peppy, although there was a vibration coming from somewhere in the drive train or wheels, salesman said maybe tires had flat spotted. It did have the optional 21" tires and wheels.

I played with the dash setting a little, I like the new digital display, lots of options. I am waiting to test drive a 2020 Hyudai Palisade Limited in all wheel drive before I commit to a new SUV.

TB

I don't know about the "flat spotted" bit unless the dealer had lowered the PSI to what it is supposed to be. There are many members who took delivery and found that the PSI was in the 40 - 50 range. They come from the factory that way to prevent possible flat spotting while they sit awaiting delivery. That is supposed to be corrected during the pre-delivery inspection by the dealer but obviously some are not correcting that.

Peter

Ours had 45 psi all round, let them down to 33...smooth and quiet. 300 miles so far good.

I don't know about the "flat spotted" bit unless the dealer had lowered the PSI to what it is supposed to be. There are many members who took delivery and found that the PSI was in the 40 - 50 range. They come from the factory that way to prevent possible flat spotting while they sit awaiting delivery. That is supposed to be corrected during the pre-delivery inspection by the dealer but obviously some are not correcting that.

Peter
Peterk9 - Ditto to your comment, my ST tires were all in the 40's PSI range on delivery and it made a distinct ride difference when lowered to the 33lb. cold PSI factory recommendation. I've seen numerous journalistic written and video reviews claiming rough ride in the 2020's, both 20" & 21" wheels/tire combos. I have to believe that much of that opinion has to be from this high PSI issue from the factory.

Back