Test drive and questions on a 2020 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Test drive and questions on a 2020 XLT

northvibe

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm looking at a late 2019 build 2020 XLT, took one on a test drive yesterday to see how my wife liked it.

Are there front parking sensors, ie. when pulling into a parking spot or garage? I see older models do not have that, but my 2015 escape does.... so I find it odd if the explorer doesn't. The unit driven does NOT have copilot 360+

How is towing with the 2.3L ? Looking at ~3300-3500 lbs campers etc.

In normal mode the explorer drives fine around town, but when accelerating on the hwy it could not get out of its own way. In sport mode it felt much better but not a rocket by any means.

Auto start/stop - I tried to feel and listen to this engine shut off but it would not. Curious if they don't enable that while the vehicle is in transport mode? Radio wouldn't work either as it was in transport mode.

Is there anyway to keep the explorer in sport mode instead of having to put it in every key start? Maybe this is a forscan setting?

I heard the infamous wind noise in the passenger side window, but it was very minimal with no radio, and we usually have music so we feel that will be ok, for now.

Otherwise the ex drove great. Felt big at first, but then after some driving it did not feel all that large. Blind spot is kind of large with that huge B? pillar but with the BLIS it should be ok, or a 2nd mini mirror. It is down to the Explorer or durango, but I'm usually more of a Ford person and there are not too many incentives on the Durango

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No you csnt have it start in sport mode.

Transport mode will limit power.

If you have the whistle, dont buy it without it getting fixed. It will annoy you on the highway with the window open.

You would have to look it up on ford.com on whether the front cam is available in a package.

If you have a blind spot then your sideview mirrors are not set right (common mistake).

For info, go to the Ford.com website and use the Build & Price feature and you can see what is and isn't available in different packages. You can also download a brochure. Another resource is the 2020 Order Guide, Updated 2020 Order Guide
And, test drive a vehicle that is not in Transport Mode so you can get a real feel for it.

Peter

Why would the Salesperson even allow a potential Customer to drive ANY vehicle in “Transport Mode” fully knowing the vehicle (and accessories) is actually being limited by that mode?!?

geez... talk about loosing a potential sale when the Customer now thinks the vehicle drives like a limp noodle... because it was left in T-mode.

Why would the Salesperson even allow a potential Customer to drive ANY vehicle in “Transport Mode” fully knowing the vehicle (and accessories) is actually being limited by that mode?!?

geez... talk about loosing a potential sale when the Customer now thinks the vehicle drives like a limp noodle... because it was left in T-mode.

Huh, I did find it odd, but I know the sales guy and he just grabbed one that was the color my wife wanted. We may trest drive or try another that is not locked down as she wants to make sure the audio quality is better than my ram 1500 big horn..the audio on that is complete garbage.

My first test drive of an ST it was in Valet Mode which also locked the touchscreen and many features. One of the managers knew the default code to unlock it after a while driving it.

Just confirmed an explorer being shipped in. 2020 XLT with the base options we wanted. I'll be adding the ford extended remote start fob as the remote start was the one option we had to have that this didn't come with. We check out and pick up on Monday. Build date is 2020/02

Back