Please HELP...5 months later and still no A/C | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please HELP...5 months later and still no A/C

Blown97Cobra

Reaction score
City, State
Hoboken, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB Explorer
I really REALLY need to know what this hose is called or even better, a ford part number:

http://www.lmmc-ct.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19134

The line in question connects from the evaporator and then to a line off the condensor. It can't be more than 1ft long. It IS NOT the line that directly comes off the condensor, but in fact connects to it and then runs to the evaporator. I really can't explain it any better than that. also..it is metal and covered with a plastic shield/cover. NOBODY has been able to tell me what line it is.

Forgot to add, this is a 96 5.0 (v8) Explorer (Eddie Bauer)

THANKS!

If I understand the picture correctly, that is the input to the evaporator and is actually a part of the evaporator. Inside the junction where it connects to the line from the condensor is where the orifice resides.
The output comes out the top and goes to the accumulator.
In the pic, your lines goes to the left (evaporator) and the right side goes to the condensor. Between the nuts is the orifice. :rolleyes:

To verify, stop at a parts store and examine an evaporator. I don't think the input line disconnects.

Attachments

• Orifice.JPG
    Orifice.JPG
    72 KB · Views: 227

ugh....finally someone speaking my language. THANK YOU. So, I take it that this is going to be a VERY involved job? (the current line has a nice gash in it) I'm pretty mechanical and have built up a 700hp mustang from stock, but I am not familiar with A/C systems, especially on the high pressure side.

What am I looking at here? and THANKS again!

I can't tell from the picture what side the gash is on. If it's on the tube that goes to the condensor, you can replace it at Autozone or with a piece from a junkyard.

If it's on the evaporator side, replace the evaporator. disconnect the A/C fitting, pull the stuff to get access (coolant recovery tank?), remove the heatshield, undo 3 nuts and remove assembly. Remove 11 screws to separate halves and replace evaporator. Installation is reverse.

When opening the system, it's considered good practice to replace the accumulator (drier), add 3 oz PAG100 oil.
In either case, when all reassembled, evacuate the system, do a leak test and charge with amount shown in the fine print on your EPA sticker next to the hood latch.

read the stickies at the top of the forum, then ask questions.

Back