Please help quiet my exhaust!!

Jornum1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4 SOHC
Ok I have a big problem. I rent out a apartment on my parents propertybehind the house. Now my problem is, I love my new borla exhaust I just put on about a month ago, but my parents hate it :) I am 22 and come home late sometimes on weekdays, and realy late on friday and sat. My father is threatening to kick me out if I dont do something about waking them up at night. Its really my step mom, but she *****es to my dad. Is there some sort of baffle I can put on to quiet it? Just till I get up my driveway? I know this is a long shot, but I dont know what else to do. Any help is greatly appreciated. THank you
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches,
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony Mobile Es head unit,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you drive a stick just shut the engine off and leave the ignition in the on position so you can steer and just come coasting in. =p
Thats about the only idea i have. Dead Link Removed Its kinda funny, but i know the feeling. sorry about that. Good thing you didnt go with the flowmaster. There even louder than the borla.

------------------
Brian
94 2wd
4" Fabtech Lift
265/75/16
Clears all the way around

How about the Supertrapp tuneable muffler with diffuser disc packs design to tune the sound. You can add it as a exhaust tip. It says "will absorbs sound better than traditional fiber glass. I saw it in Summit Racing catalog.
( Dead Link Removed ) I'm not really sure if this will cure the sound problem. Just an idea. Dead Link Removed

------------------
NY State of Mind

I didnt think there was anything I could do, I cant coast up the driveway, its uphill :) The truck isnt loud at idle at all, its just that really low rumble. When you come in at 3 or 4am, and its all quiet, that low rumble is all it takes. But if anyone has any more ideas let me know. THanks
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

How about coming home earlier or moving somewhere else.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Good luck.

------------------
DOGMAN
91 4dr 5sp
5.5" Superlift
"Downhill is just uphill in the opposite direction"

This is probably not the answer you want but…

Why don’t you remove the Borla and reinstall a stock muffler. Then, you'll have a quiet truck. When you move, reinstall the Borla and your rocking.

That’s what I would do anyway.

Good luck.

------------------
Rock'n 97 Sport 4X4

well I wish i could reinstall it, but the borla didnt exactly fit my truck right. So I had to have some custom piping done, and the stock muffler was cut really close to the muffler, the guy told me it was no good anymore. So I let him throw it out. so I dont have the stock muffler. I guess I am just going to to have to deal with this somehow. Maybe park at the end of the driveway :)
Thanks guys
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

Will an ear muffler help Dead Link Removed. I couldn't resist either. Or maybe a sound insulated room. Dead Link Removed. Good luck hope you find a solution. Dead Link Removed You that reminds me, my son is like that going home late at night/early morning and I always find something I dislike with his car but when he does something (greasing) I phrase his car. Dead Link Removed he he he

------------------
1997 XLT, V6 SOHC
NY State of Mind

If you have large tips on your exhaust, get smaller resonated tips. The supertrap muffler is a good idea because you can just put it on like a tip and some of them look cool. You can have a muffler shop put them on for like 30bux, they are around 100 bux for the unit though. Personally I think you should tell them to tough it out(your parents) tell them that your new exhaust system gives you a better MPG and they might be like oh, ok its fine then. Dead Link Removed

Kial

Well, its not the best situation, but you could put on a Y diverter (I dont know what they are really called), JC whitney has them for a couple bucks. What you do is put it in after your cat and there is a control you can run inside your truck to go from completely open to exhaust system. Maybe you could put this in and just put one of those cheap super restrictive mufflers on one outlet and keep your exhaust on the other. Might take a little work, but if it keeps you from gettin kicked out it may be worth it. It could also add the element of surprise to the occasional drag race w/ a b#@&#r. Good Luck.

------------------
'91 2 dr Eddie Bauer
modified air box
K&N filter
MUCH MORE TO COME

HERE's the answer. LAYETH THE SMACKETH DOWN!!! take your foot, shine it up REAL good, turn it sideways, and stick it up their #$%#$^!!! or else you can just park really far away!

Ok, I've got a realistic solution for you. My dad taught me how to do this, because he got a fixit ticket for a similar problem when he was a kid in the '60's. Here's what you do. Drill a hole in your tail pipe (do it behind the crazy borla tip, because it looks pretty nice). Then stuff it with steele wool. Push the wool back past the hole, and shove a big nail though the hole (a bolt and a wing nut if you want to go all out). It's much quieter now.

Ok, then when it doesn't matter. Just redline and blow the wool out the back. (of course my dad was running a small block V-8). So, if it doesn't come out just reving the engine... You'll have to find a better way to get it out.

Oh, another way you could blow it out the back (and you might blow your head gasket on this one), but my cousin taught me this... get going, so you're at like 4000 RPM in fourth, then throw the key, so that the ignition is off (the car is still moving though, so the fuel pump is still going). Ok, then almost immediatly throw the key back on. The wool will get blown out the pipe along with blue flames. It worked in his jeep... (Pardon my french).

Don't really do the thing with the ignition. it's so bad for so many reasons. Seriously though. You'll probably just have to fish the steele wool out (pain in the @ss, I know)...

Andrew

Jornum: Here's possibility: Take the Borla Air tip off. Buy a 2 different 8" sections of slighly larger exhaust pipe. Put 3 thumbs screw holes in the end of each (to fit the new pipe on where you cut your exhaust pipe off). On the first piece, weld the Borla air tip, this is your performance tip. On the second 8" piece weld a smaller diameter long resonator tip. Change the tips out at your convenience.

You can go to your local muffler shop and see if you have the room to move your muffler father back on the pipe. The farther back it is, supposedly the quieter it will be. Another solution may be to just add another small muffler to your exhaust system. Hope this helps.

Randy

Could you park below the driveway and walk up when you come home late at night? Is it safe to do so? So you could save your money for other future upgrades.

------------------
'91 4-DR EB
San Jose, CA
2.5" Rancho, RS 9000, 32" BFG AT KO

Kvo, thats the solution I have been trying to convince my dad. They thing with that is, weekdays are good because I get up at 6, and am out the door by 6:40. But on weekends, my step mom teaches horse riding lessons, and when you get in at 3 or 4am, the last thing I want to do is get up at 9, and move my truck. My dad is afraid of it being in the way. But I am sure I can convince him otherwise. I hope ;-) I really love the borla, I would hate to part with it :). But thanks everyone for your help and your humor at my expense :) I know its a funny situation, and I hopefully will be finding other residence by the summer. So I think this solution will get my by for now.
Thanks everyone,
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Eldebrock shocks,
Sony 1/2 din Equalizer,
10 disc ES cd changer,
6 disc MD changer,

Back