Please help rattling from bottom of the engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Please help rattling from bottom of the engine

vincekim9

Reaction score
City, State
PERTH, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
rattling from bottom of the engine

Gday~~My 98 xlt Aussie explorer(180,000kilomiters) "just" started getting a rattle at the bottom of the engine. I'm guessing it's the timing chain tensioner problem. I can't hear when open the hood, engine sound is good. i just put Motul 5W40 and change spark plug and wire etc....after done start rattling.

when move trans "R" or "D", it is more noisy....after warm up and runnig
dicrease noise like a normal condition.
Please help...Aussie ford do not recall this problem, just charge around AUD$5,000...I could not find part supplier here. I do not know how to do...

Please help....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to this forum! I see that you are new here. You mentioned that it happened after you did a tune up, and oil change. The oil that you put in is a very light grade. The thicker oils deaden a lot of the inner sounds of the engine, and the thinner ones make it sound very loud. I know this when I put in Mobil 1 0W30. The engine also needed oil all of the time, since it probably got past the the piston rings, and burned up. Try using a quart, or 2 of 20W50, and see if this deadens the engine's noise.

Thanks for reply...I might change 15W40 or 10W30 soon.
But i did 1month ago when start noisy, I changed spark plug and wire just before, but i did wrong, swap install 5 and 6 wire to ignition coil....and started engin twice...horrible~~~~~~and i reinstall it correctly. just started noisy the day after change ignition wire....

Mate, penrite HPR10 is what I use.

$5000 AUD I can relate to that, I got quoted $4400 to do the timing gear on mine, Guess what am still driving it 25,000k’s latter.

I will be trying out the Front Cam tensioner Fix shortly as this is where my noise look’s to be coming from.

If you can’t hear it with the bonnet up it’s probably not that bad yet, 180,000k’s that’s not a bad run mine started at 105,000 and I am now at 130,000

You have 4 options
Pay ford to fix it
Put in a new crate engine
Try to Sell it and hope the dealer don’t recognise the sound, Or sell it privately to some poor basted.
Ride it out till the motor blows, like the 3.0Ltre Nissan patrol owners do.

……
Me I have just come home after some 4Wding to find my top radiator bracket has cracked where it joins onto the left side radiator tank and now the radiator leaking coolant. ####!!!!!!

Hi, mate! Thanks for reply! Are you in Perth? I'm in Perth now...
I just want to fix cam tensioner myself...I do not like any options from you...
really i have no idea where noise came from, just i guess from cam tensioner... I just came in under the car after start engine, CATALYTIC CONVERTER is OK, just came from bottom of the engine....
if you possible, would you please send picture or replace manual to me by email?
Anyway thanks......

Yes, I am in Perth

If it is the rear timing gear that’s the problem or even the front lower gear, then you need to know what you are doing, the engine need’s to be pulled which=Engine crane and engine stand, You also need decent tool’s and a toque wrench along with the ford Cam timing tool’s and I don’t think they give them out for private use.

If you know what you are doing it would be a 2-3day job, and if it’s done wrong then you will be buying a new engine too.

If you go to the “Pit stop book shop” in the city then you can buy the Explorer Repair Manuel By Haynes it cover’s 1991-2001 Models it has a alright right up on the SOHC V6 (The engine we have) It covers the Overhaul procedure that also incorporates the timing gear replacement procedure.

Give us a wave if you see me around, It a Green explorer, It’s got a big CIBIE sticker across the windscreen.

Back