• Register Today It's free!

Plug Wire Install On 4.0 EFI?

So Sick

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2dr-99 TransAm-90 5.0
I am tuning up my xploder and want to change the plug wires out and i see they go under the upper intake, is there any easy way to get them out and back up under there or do you have to pop it off? Anyone got a good link to doing the plug wire swap on that side of the 4.0efi?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone?

The wires do not go under the manifold. They are routed behind it near the firewall.

On the OHV, they are indeed routed under the intake manifold. You do not need to remove the manifold to install or removed the wires. Just do one wire at a time, carefully pull the old ones out and carefully stuff the new ones in the same way the old ones came out. you may want to try and wrap a length of copper wire or string to help route the wires through, though I never had to. Smaller hands usually help as well.

Dan

Thanks for the clarification. My answer was for the SOHC motor.

ok it was half dark when i was looking at it last night and looked like more of a PITA than that. Whats the best wires i can get locally? I cant wait for a week for shipping.

aldive> i lived in Sarasota for years, its a beautiful city!

A pair of needle nose pliers will be your besr friend. I did it saturday and it`s a PITA Until i got the pliers out hope this helps

I've used Autolite and Bosch wires. Both seem the be about the same quality, though I think the bosch were a bit more money.

Dan

I got the wires on. They werent bad at all (compared to other countless projects lol) Seems like with new plugs/wires it sounds like it runs slightly different. It idles at about 800 and i have an aftermarket muffler and it just sounds like it runs a little different. I know that sounds weird lol but i dont know how to describe it any better lol. Thanks everyone!

Back