Police rim compatibility?

Mufasa556

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
2016 XLT
Before I run off to pick-a-part and pull some rims to use as winter tires off an old PI Taurus, will the steel rim off the police Explorer and Taurus from 13-19 fit on the “civilian” Explorer?

I have a 2016 Xlt and from what I’ve read they do and will just bolt on, excluding the needed lug nuts for the center caps.

Also, will the TPMS sensor in the junkyard tires talk to my explorer or will they need to be redone?

One of the guys at work runs winter tires on police interceptor rims on his Taurus SHO. The TPMS will likely need to be married to the new vehicle. You local tire shop will have the correct answer.

I used the 18" steel wheels to replace my 20" OEM wheels for winter on my 2017 Platinum Explorer. As for the TPMS. you may have to get new ones if you have a display that shows the PSI on all 4 wheels. The 2016+ Explorer uses a different TPMS sensor than the previous model years.

Peter

Before I run off to pick-a-part and pull some rims to use as winter tires off an old PI Taurus, will the steel rim off the police Explorer and Taurus from 13-19 fit on the “civilian” Explorer?

I have a 2016 Xlt and from what I’ve read they do and will just bolt on, excluding the needed lug nuts for the center caps.

Also, will the TPMS sensor in the junkyard tires talk to my explorer or will they need to be redone?
The wheels from 11-19 on the PIU and PIS are the same wheel. They will fit fine. Like Peter said the TPMS sensors in 11-15 wheels will need to be replaced if you want TPMS to operate correctly, they operate on a different frequency. One is 315MHz the other 433MHz.

Back