• Register Today It's free!

Poor mpg.

dford

Reaction score
City, State
Bethesda, Md.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 XLT
Does anyone know how to obtain a list of the actual options on my vehicle as delivered from the factory when new? I bought my 03 xlt 4.0 4x4 used and I would like to know if mine came with the "towing" package. I get lousy gas mileage and that may be one of the reasons. Also, any suggestions aside from higher tire pressures to increase mpg. would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dud you have an SUV!!!! I have a 2005 and it gets 19.5 HWY and 15 city I wouldn’t expect any different unless you granny drive or reprogram the computer and you really don’t here anyone bragging about that unless they have a diesel.

poor mpg

Understood, however 10mpg. seems a tad low. I drive it easy, the tranny isn't slipping and the 4x4 module is functioning properly. I also have an F150 with the 4.6 V8 and a loaded tool box cap on the back and I get around 15 mpg with that. This is all local driving-no highway cruising.

What size trailer hitch does yours have? If it's the smaller Class II hitch with a 1-1/4" square receiver, then most likely it's got the 3.55 axle ratio. If it's got the larger Class III hitch with the 2" receiver, then it's got the 3.73 axle ratio. The Class III towing package automatically gave you the 3.73 axle as well as a few other things.

10 MPG does seem low. Bear in mind that right now is not the opportune time to gauge your MPG, as the fuel blends and cold weather definitely kill MPG. But, even my worst tankful of E85 fuel, which does get less MPG than gas wasn't even that bad.
Your thermostat is working correctly, isn't it? If the engine is running too cold, that'll kill MPG.

You could try a different fuel supplier. Some fuels tend to deliver a little better MPG than others. I've had my best MPG on Shell fuels.

Changing out all the fluids for synthetics will help a little...Especially the differential fluids. That gear lube gets thick as tar in the cold. I'd recommend a full synthetic such as Mobil 1, Amsoil, Schaeffer, etc. in 75W140 weight in both the front and rear diffs.

Is this something that just started happening, or has it always gotten this poor of MPG?

poor mpg

Turns out that I do have the class III---2" receiver hitch. That helps explain it. It has always returned poor mpg. I have had this car for almost 2 years. When I first bought it, the diff. started making grumbling noises so I changed the fluid to 130W and added friction modifier to boot. Diff is quiet-- but at a cost. Thanks for the info.

Back