Popped in some new plugs the other day... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Popped in some new plugs the other day...

Reaction score
City, State
Gap PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer EB
due to a sputtering issue.

In the words of Adam Savage, "Well, there's your problem!"

401081_4134128925682_80763726_n.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did it fix the engine problem or did the plug break the motor?

Bosch +2. Only plugs worse are Bosch +4.
No, it's not possible they're twice as bad.

Surprised it sputtered, or even ran at all. ;)

Haha the engine runs fine for 177,000, and I put in NGK's. Runs MUCH better even with the original coil pack and wires, one of which I had to repair because I had an end pull out. Temporary fix.

The 4.0L OHV runs best with Motorcraft plugs. The old platinum plus plugs were great, now we just have platinums, but the finewire electrode design is pretty good.

NGK makes great plugs, but they are usually best when the application is a Japanese engine.

Haha the engine runs fine for 177,000, and I put in NGK's. Runs MUCH better even with the original coil pack and wires, one of which I had to repair because I had an end pull out. Temporary fix.

Mine were just as bad as yours (OEM Motorcrafts) and I replaced with NGKs. I really like NGK and will be switching the Saab back to them from Denso.

NGK is by far my favorite. My 5.7 in my Blazer has them and when I get around to it the Mustang is getting a set as well. It's all I use if I can!

Bosch plugs were horrible plugs to put in there. These trucks are very temperamental with their spark systems. Its either stock spec MotorCraft or replace and upgrade it ALL. Talking MSD Ignition Controller, coil pack, bigger gage wire, plugs, and full out tune. The works

NGK yet again is another bad choice for any American vehicle, especially Explorers. I burned up a set in 500 miles in my 03 short sport. NGK are excellent for any imported vehicle, especially Japanese

I have 1000 miles on mine and it runs great so I think you may have other issues. I have the fender liner out so I'll pull one just to check it.

One case of you burning up NGK plugs is hardly enough evidence to make a claim such as the one you have above.

NGK makes great plugs, but they are usually best when the application is a Japanese engine.
NGK yet again is another bad choice for any American vehicle
Factory plug for my 6.1 Hemi :D

I have Motercraft platinum's waiting to be put in my X when it needs them.

I have 1000 miles on mine and it runs great so I think you may have other issues. I have the fender liner out so I'll pull one just to check it.

One case of you burning up NGK plugs is hardly enough evidence to make a claim such as the one you have above.

This is only one example. I know of plenty other Ford and GM applications that the same has happened. A good friend works for Ford as a mechanic for over 30 years and . backs this claim up. I love and only use NGK in my Evolution

Back