• Register Today It's free!

Popping when braking

jar2187

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 EB, 96 limited
Sometimes when I press the brake pedal to come to a complete stop, going about 5-10 mph I hear a pop noise and at the same time the brake pedal drops a little bit, almost like when you bleed the brakes and the pedal goes down a little. This does happen all the time. I have just recently replaced my master cylinder. Before that I had both the ebrake light and the rear antilock light on. (got a code 4 when I grounded the abs connector)After changeing the master cylinder the e- brake light went out. Rear anti lock light still on.Looked under the hood and plug wasnt pluged into the side of the master cylinder. As soon as I pluged it back in the light came back on. How can this be? I would think that even if the low fluid sensor was unpluged the light would still be on. Saying that there is still something wrong with the brakes, because the abs computer is saying that the Rear proportioning value is bad, read somewhere on here that if it does go bad then it will triger both lights. Is there something wrong with this new master cylinder? And what is causeing the poping. By the way theres still something wrong with my brakes the pedal doesnt feel right. The brake characteristics change with every application so I can't judge how hard to push on the brakes. ex sometimes I have to push it to the floor to stop and times theres a lot of dead pedal and then all of a sudden they get wicked touchy. This is all with traffic driving at around 25-35 mph with the same amount of people and cargo with me.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have similar problems every time i blow a wheel cylinder. check to see if those are leaking. (i say every time bacause ive blown like 6 of them in my explorer) otherwise, im at A loss of what it could be.

Nope Nothings leaking that i know of, the other day I looked at the rear drums and didnt see anything wet.

You need to pull the rear tires and actually inspect the wheel cylinders. You won't see any fluid on the drums unless you have been driving around for a long (several months) time with this problem.

It did this like 3 times in a row, so I guess the pressure just builds up again and blows out through the hole.

popping noise

I used to get that noise as I braked to a stop. Turned out I needed new radius arm bushings.

Back