Possible hub bearings or cv joint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible hub bearings or cv joint?

bjesse60

Reaction score
City, State
kentucky
Year, Model & Trim Level
My wifes 2002 4x4 has been nothing but trouble, you guys help me to diagnose when the timing blew and ruined the last engine now when in 4x4 the front end is making bad roaring noises and pulling to the right pretty bad, but 2 wheel seems normal is this possibly the hub assy or cv joint? We have been driving it right on in 2 wheel with no problems but need to figure this out. Thank's Brandon

* Has 105k on it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

does it feel like its making a clunking sound when you turn at slow speeds? like pulling into a parking spot?

does it feel like its making a clunking sound when you turn at slow speeds? like pulling into a parking spot?

Not really that I have noticed, this is my wifes ride it just sounds horrible and pulls to the right when you engage 4x4.

Well, if it was hub bearings it should make the noise even in 2wd. If it only makes the noise in 4wd I would think it is something to do with your transfer case.

Well, if it was hub bearings it should make the noise even in 2wd. If it only makes the noise in 4wd I would think it is something to do with your transfer case.

That is kinda what I was thinking, it seems to pull real bad and sounds awful like its coming from pass front so wondered if this could be cv axle?
I am going to try and check it out this week hopefully will find some play in something. Brandon

In 4wd the front axle is under load or trying pull the wheel forward, it may not be loaded enough in 2wd. Might still be the bearings. Wheel bearings don't feel lose, they only make noise from the two i have done. It wasn't till i had it out and turning by hand could i feel the rough spots.

In 4wd the front axle is under load or trying pull the wheel forward, it may not be loaded enough in 2wd. Might still be the bearings. Wheel bearings don't feel lose, they only make noise from the two i have done. It wasn't till i had it out and turning by hand could i feel the rough spots.

Thank's I hope you are correct. I thought it would be more than likely the bearings also over cv axle because this vehicle is rarely off the highway or in 4x4, but is not that noticeable until it is put in. Brandon

Back