Possible to keep factory plugs when installing civilian console? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Possible to keep factory plugs when installing civilian console?

FruztalProjects

Reaction score
City, State
Washington, US
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 PIU
Is there a way to mod the civilian console so I don't lose the 2 factory cigarette ports up front? I don't want to lose the second one as I use both. I'm talking about the ones shown below. I don't care if the back ones on the console work or not. I want an armrest.
20230207_164540.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Since you wouldn't need both of two cigarette lighter outlets to be especially heat resistant (if you even need one heat resistant, for a cigarette lighter), you can use a small hole saw to cut a hole and pick just about *anywhere* there's an area, where you'd like to mount a second, panel mount lighter outlet.

How about behind the cubbyhole with the door over it, in the transition between horizontal and vertical on the civilian console? OR, on either side of that center console column, if you don't mind it sticking out at a right angle, OR in the armrest storage bin, or at the bottom of one of the two cupholders?

You can put a ~1" hole, anywhere there is an inch of clearance and it's reinforced enough, whether by remaining material, or by fiberglass mat and epoxy layers of reinforcement around it.

You can buy 12 volt outlet panels with cig lighter sockets only or cig lighter sockets plus USB sockets in various sizes and configurations. Some are panel mount, and some are already mounted in a little enclosure. The ones in their own enclosure can be mounted anywhere you can find a flat surface and run the power wires to. I got mine on Amazon, they have them on eBay also.

Since you wouldn't need both of two cigarette lighter outlets to be especially heat resistant (if you even need one heat resistant, for a cigarette lighter), you can use a small hole saw to cut a hole and pick just about *anywhere* there's an area, where you'd like to mount a second, panel mount lighter outlet.

How about behind the cubbyhole with the door over it, in the transition between horizontal and vertical on the civilian console? OR, on either side of that center console column, if you don't mind it sticking out at a right angle, OR in the armrest storage bin, or at the bottom of one of the two cupholders?

You can put a ~1" hole, anywhere there is an inch of clearance and it's reinforced enough, whether by remaining material, or by fiberglass mat and epoxy layers of reinforcement around it.
You can buy 12 volt outlet panels with cig lighter sockets only or cig lighter sockets plus USB sockets in various sizes and configurations. Some are panel mount, and some are already mounted in a little enclosure. The ones in their own enclosure can be mounted anywhere you can find a flat surface and run the power wires to. I got mine on Amazon, they have them on eBay also.
Thank you guys for the replies. I've decided to opt for an aftermarket console. I can mount it directly to the plate. Civilian console I got was just in horrible shape, it was filthy mostly. Waste of $100 in my opinion. I bought a console from Nenno Products. It just mounts directly to the factory plate. Plenty of storage and most of all, an arm rest which I lacked.

Thank you guys for the replies. I've decided to opt for an aftermarket console. I can mount it directly to the plate. Civilian console I got was just in horrible shape, it was filthy mostly. Waste of $100 in my opinion. I bought a console from Nenno Products. It just mounts directly to the factory plate. Plenty of storage and most of all, an arm rest which I lacked.
I did the same, but I didn't use the forward bracket. I used 4 elevator bolts through the bottom of the console...just had to drill 4 holes in the metal plate.The holes area already in the bottom of the console. Looks much more finished...

Back