Potential sport trac owner | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Potential sport trac owner

dankspeed

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
Hey everyone,

I stumbled across this website doing research on ford sport tracs. I'm interested in the 2003+ versions. I've been reading up and am a bit concerned about the timing chains. This site has been a great resource for me and I'm glad I joined.

Take care

Dan K

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its an issue. I lost an engine to it (2002). Mine was a 4.0 6 cyl. I'm not sure the V8s have the same problem.

The timing chains were upgraded in '02. Sport Tracs didn't come with the V8 until '07.

Not yet. Not sure how soon I'll be able to get one either. What I've noticed while looking is that the price people are asking are all over the place. Dealer seem to be asking between 8-9K while private sellers want anywhere between 3500-7K.

Any tips on things to look out for?

Thanks
Dan K

You're already aware of the timing chain issues, as with any used ride check out the oil. See if its at proper level and not looking burnt out. If its low and/or black as tar, its a good sign that the owner hasn't been keeping good care if it and low oil and not changing the oil regularly only increase the chances of the timing chain tensioners crapping out. Look at all of the normal things when checking out a used car like fluids, open the hood and look at the frame of the engine bay and see if its been repaired or if there are signs of collision damage. Check all of the electrical and run the ac to see if it blows cold and hard. This will tell you how the condition of the compressor is in. Play with all of the windows and the rear window, listen to the motor and be on the look out for clicking or clanging. Start it up and see if it fires up strong. Check the body lines, upholstery, and find all of the flaws in the vehicle and use it to haggle your way to a cheaper price. Good luck and post pics if you take the plunge. I absolutely love my trac and I've never talked to a trac owner who didn't feel the same. Just check out the stickies and posts in the sport trac section.

Back