Power Lift Gate Does Not Open All the Way | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Lift Gate Does Not Open All the Way

isstatu1

Reaction score
City, State
Mullica Hill, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Ford Explorer Sport
I'm having issues with my power liftgate. It does not fully open. Or at least I believe it does not fully open. When it opens I still have to push it up for another 5 inches. I've reset the height adjustment multiple times using the button, but it still doesn't extend all the way up. If I program it at a lower height then it stops at that height, so it's not a programming issue. I'm about 5'10" and it stops right around my forhead. Could it be that the actuator might have to be replaced?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm having issues with my power liftgate. It does not fully open. Or at least I believe it does not fully open. When it opens I still have to push it up for another 5 inches. I've reset the height adjustment multiple times using the button, but it still doesn't extend all the way up. If I program it at a lower height then it stops at that height, so it's not a programming issue. I'm about 5'10" and it stops right around my forhead. Could it be that the actuator might have to be replaced?
Usually, if it is the liftgate motor/actuator, the liftgate won't open at all. Using the handy 'Search' feature (top right) I found a thread with a previous post of mine that may or may not help. 2018 Explorer Platinum Liftgate won't fully raise

Peter

Make sure in setting the height that you hold the liftgate up all the way (or to the point you want it to open to) and hold the button until you hear a beep (maybe it's a chime). If this doesn't work then time for further diagnosis but as Peter said above, unlikely to be the actuator.

It does beep, but still doesn't open up fully. If i were to program it to open up less then in programs fine. But then I open it up all the way and program it to fully open and then it stops a couple inches short.

It does beep, but still doesn't open up fully. If i were to program it to open up less then in programs fine. But then I open it up all the way and program it to fully open and then it stops a couple inches short.
Is this a recent development or has it always been like this? I always set mine so that I can open it in the garage without hitting the open garage door.

Peter

Is this a recent development or has it always been like this? I always set mine so that I can open it in the garage without hitting the open garage door.

Peter
I recently bought the car like that. So no information on previous behavior

I've borrowed a scanner and initialized the tailgate. That fixed the issue. Thank you all for your help!

Back