Power outlet on back of center console coming loose | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power outlet on back of center console coming loose

Eltee

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
In a high desert city not far from ghost towns ...
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
4WD
I did a search but did not come up with anything.

The power outlet (aka cigarette lighter socket) on the back of my center console which second row passengers use is coming loose. I suspect pulling on items plugged in there constantly loosened it. It is still in place, just very loose.

Is there easy access to that? Would it be covered under the extended bumper 2 bumper warranty? Is there an improved version to replace it with ... assuming I can access it?

THANK YOU for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am hoping it is something I can PULL OUT, fix / replace, and reinsert without having to pull out the entire console.

I am hoping it is something I can PULL OUT, fix / replace, and reinsert without having to pull out the entire console.
I knocked mine apart by hitting it (with an adapter in it) when I retracted the back seat. That being said you can pop it on and off also. I believe you can disconnect it from the wire harness. No need to go into the console.

I knocked mine apart by hitting it (with an adapter in it) when I retracted the back seat. That being said you can pop it on and off also. I believe you can disconnect it from the wire harness. No need to go into the console.
It appears then that there is nothing behind the console wall the holds the outlet in place. Thanks for the info.

Peter

You have to pop the sides of the console loose, to pull the back trim (around power point) away.

I had the little flap of the outlet open and dumped the 2nd row seats and it knocked the cover right off and this cause the power point to be loose in the console. Had to pull the back trim to put it back together.

OK, I am a little confused. One contributor says I can reattach the 12v outlet from the outside, another suggests that removing the panel from the console base is needed.

I can't really tell from the parts diagrams if there is a need to get inside but I don't want to just pull the outlet out only to find out getting inside IS required. Guess more searching is in order.

OK, I am a little confused. One contributor says I can reattach the 12v outlet from the outside, another suggests that removing the panel from the console base is needed.

I can't really tell from the parts diagrams if there is a need to get inside but I don't want to just pull the outlet out only to find out getting inside IS required. Guess more searching is in order.
There is no need to go inside the console. It pops off with a little pressure.

There is no need to go inside the console. It pops off with a little pressure.
The issue is that he wants to tighten the outlet so it doesn't come out. Would you not have to do that from the inside?

Peter

my wife somehow broke the cover off the power outlet on the rear of the front console. It looks like I'll need the cover itself and the socket the cover goes to it as well. Does anyone know how to get the socket out of the console? Any help is greatly appreciated.

my wife somehow broke the cover off the power outlet on the rear of the front console. It looks like I'll need the cover itself and the socket the cover goes to it as well. Does anyone know how to get the socket out of the console? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Moved your post here. Check out post #6.
Looking at the diagram it seems the cover may be a separate part; https://parts.autonationfordwhitebe...front-console-scat/?part_number=fb5z78045b30a

Peter

My kids did the same thing. Carefully pry with a screw driver and it pops right out, unplug and pop new one back in. It's a 2 minute job and I bought a replacement off E-bay for $12.

My kids did the same thing. Carefully pry with a screw driver and it pops right out, unplug and pop new one back in. It's a 2 minute job and I bought a replacement off E-bay for $12.
Thanks. I'll try it

It worked! I had to mess with it a bit but it popped out.

It worked! I had to mess with it a bit but it popped out.
Good job and judging how easily they break, it won't be the last time. Dealer covered one of mine on warranty, but I am not gonna even bother for a $12
two minute repair.

Back