Power Steering Recall - Ford Refuses to service | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Power Steering Recall - Ford Refuses to service

Saffer

Reaction score
City, State
Torrance, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer Sport
I got two recall letters form my Ford dealer about the recall on the steering. (15N01 - FSA Title: EPAS STEERING EFFORTS)

On a regular basis, the steering is frozen when starting the vehicle and then takes a few seconds before it frees up and I can turn the steering.

On a few occasions I have also had the steering tighten up while driving.

The vehicle has been with the dealer for a few days now and they saying that they cant get any error codes. The service guy that I booked the vehicle in with reported that he felt it once, but not while they had the diagnostics on the vehicle.

They are now claiming that they cant fulfil the recall if they don’t get any codes.

Have you had any similar issues with your dealers on this recall ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds silly on Fords part, they already admitted your steering stiffens up, they're open to liability if they are going to follow the bulletin line for line since its a hazard. Speak to a service manager, if nothing happens, then to Ford customer service and let them know you don't feel safe driving the vehicle. They are pretty much telling you to drive the vehicle so you lose assist for a long period of time for the system to set a code:wtf:

If there are no codes, they will not replace the rack. There must be a code set to prove it is happening.

Here is a link to the recall info. Your warranty on it is extended to 10yr/150k and the dealer should be refreshing the computer with the updated files.

These updated files cause the rack to set a code if it fails but will not lose power steering until the vehicle shuts off to allow you to get to your destination with power assist.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...yY9OXzttuzBDkd2eQ&sig2=VFl51yU1187HRufK9Gk6EQ

If there are no codes, they will not replace the rack. There must be a code set to prove it is happening.

Here is a link to the recall info. Your warranty on it is extended to 10yr/150k and the dealer should be refreshing the computer with the updated files.

These updated files cause the rack to set a code if it fails but will not lose power steering until the vehicle shuts off to allow you to get to your destination with power assist.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...yY9OXzttuzBDkd2eQ&sig2=VFl51yU1187HRufK9Gk6EQ

Just read the recall, does not mention the Explorer though. Going to contact Ford, will report back on results.

I was just reading the thread "2011 - 2015 Explorer Power Steering Issue" and am surprised the Explorers are not included in this recall?

I got two recall letters form my Ford dealer about the recall on the steering. (15N01 - FSA Title: EPAS STEERING EFFORTS)

On a regular basis, the steering is frozen when starting the vehicle and then takes a few seconds before it frees up and I can turn the steering.

On a few occasions I have also had the steering tighten up while driving.

The vehicle has been with the dealer for a few days now and they saying that they cant get any error codes. The service guy that I booked the vehicle in with reported that he felt it once, but not while they had the diagnostics on the vehicle.

They are now claiming that they cant fulfil the recall if they don’t get any codes.

Have you had any similar issues with your dealers on this recall ? Any suggestions ?

Thanks
What yr is your ford, mines 2016 steering shot, needs replaced to the tune of $2000 , ford says at 50,000 miles it’s “ normal wear and tear” ??. Bs. Should b recall soon I hope, this is after rear end, replace and them tell me the common decay of battery cable terminal connector can’t b replaced ,they have to replace “ the entire wiring harness” for $1000!, I got the $12 part from amazon and fixed it…dealer would not sell me just the connector. It’s my last FORD ever.

What yr is your ford, mines 2016 steering shot, needs replaced to the tune of $2000 , ford says at 50,000 miles it’s “ normal wear and tear” ??. Bs. Should b recall soon I hope, this is after rear end, replace and them tell me the common decay of battery cable terminal connector can’t b replaced ,they have to replace “ the entire wiring harness” for $1000!, I got the $12 part from amazon and fixed it…dealer would not sell me just the connector. It’s my last FORD ever.
According to his profile in the margin, it's a 2018 and the member was last seen here on June 8, 2018. The last post before yours was over 5 years ago.

Peter

Back