Powerdyne supercharger on '00 Mounty from SN95 Mustang kit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Powerdyne supercharger on '00 Mounty from SN95 Mustang kit

Mesozoic

Reaction score
City, State
Tucson, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Mercury Mountaineer
A friend of mine has been trying to sell a '95 Mustang (SN95) roller (does not run) that he thought was a true Cobra vehicle for a while... so I took a close look at the receipts, decoded the VIN, and discovered that it's not a Cobra, but a GT. Not wanting to dismantle something somewhat rare, I've been hesitant on the so-called Cobra, but now that we know that it's nothing more than a GT, I'm looking closely at it again. Why?

It's got a Powerdyne BD-11 supercharger system installed on it. The block is stock, but has a 347 kit installed, but is unfortunately running hypereutectic pistons, so that's a no go. It also has a Tremec 3550 transmission I am eyeing for another project. In any case, it's unclear how close the SN95 accessory drive mounting system is compared to the Explorer. I've heard that it's a compact arrangement similar to the Explorer with minimal differences. Either way, I am curious if an SN95 based Powerdyne kit is more or less a drop-in affair into the Explorer or not.

I do recognize that the Powerdyne kit includes a dual accessory crank pulley and this is problematic due to the need for a 36-1 trigger wheel. I'm not terribly worried about this one because I've waterjetted a few of these things and sandwiched them in. Relocating or spacing out the CKP sensor shouldn't be a nightmare either.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The balancer and the belt locations are different. The main issue I think will be the Powerdyne mounting bracket, the front dress parts are completely different. So you won't know what it might take until you get the bracket in hand and next to the Explorer parts. Hopefully it can still mount without much fabrication there, with some spacer items to fine tune the belt location.

If there is room for the 2nd belt, it'll likely require removing the mechanical fan, and using the thinner radiator version.

I just replaced my radiator with some large capacity aluminum unit - it's actually overcooling in the AZ summer heat with the AC on somehow. But I digress. The point of that comment was that I designed a sheet aluminum adapter to mount a Contour twin electric fan assembly onto the Explorer rad a few years ago. The Contour fan is very thin, so am banking on that to work out for a cooling solution if I were to go this route. I really don't want to deal with any fab nightmares, though... willing to deal with a little bit, but my understanding was that the SN95 accessory depth matched the Explorer.

:popcorn: :usa:
Pictures

I just replaced my radiator with some large capacity aluminum unit - it's actually overcooling in the AZ summer heat with the AC on somehow. But I digress. The point of that comment was that I designed a sheet aluminum adapter to mount a Contour twin electric fan assembly onto the Explorer rad a few years ago. The Contour fan is very thin, so am banking on that to work out for a cooling solution if I were to go this route. I really don't want to deal with any fab nightmares, though... willing to deal with a little bit, but my understanding was that the SN95 accessory depth matched the Explorer.

The SN95 302 has about a 3/8" difference in belt depth, the Explorer 302 is shorter. I bet the Contour fans will be very good, but the blower up front may need them moved forward a little more. I don't know that, I'm just familiar with how much space is between the 302 WP snout, and the radiator(the full thickness one). Your blower belt will likely by away enough from the fan that it may not be too close, but you'll have to mock it up and see.

The bottom Explorer 302 belt pulley is just an idler, you may be using that space for the blower. I'm fuzzy on where that blower goes on the SN95, start with pictures of that too.

Good point RE pictures... I'll take some detailed photos of the relic that has been adorning my friend's shop for the last 5 years with literally no sales success. I'll be out of town for a couple of weeks, so please bear with me on obtaining said pictures.

No rush at all, but please also include some pictures of your other cars too, I see some interesting things in your signature. I love old Cleveland's, Bronco's, and upgrades of all kinds.

If you’re overcooling your thermostats not working.

I started to go this route years ago, then I got a chance at a Kenne Bell and took it.

It seems to me that musclejunkie here may have the bracket(s) you need to duplicate???

Back