Pretty sure I need to replace my starter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pretty sure I need to replace my starter

burgundy

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Tried to start my car this morning and found that when I turned it over there was just a clicking sound.. I have cleaned the battery cables and tried jumping it. When I do the car attempts to turn over then just immediately starts making the clicking sound again. I got down underneath and looked at the starter and had a friend turn the ignition and saw that the starter wasn't doing anything at all.. so I'm thinking this is the problem. The belt looks okay.. there's no cracks or anything.. and I"m hoping it's not the alternator, but there really aren't any signs to suggest that's the problem that I know of. My vechicle is a 2001 Explorer Sport, and I'm trying to find a guide online that will explain how to replace the starter but so far no luck.. Can anyone point me in the right direction to do this? I really don't wanna pay a mechanic if this is something simple to do. Also, a diagram of the entire engine would be good, but I couldn't find anything like that on Ford's website. Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

Tried to start my car this morning and found that when I turned it over there was just a clicking sound.. I have cleaned the battery cables and tried jumping it. When I do the car attempts to turn over then just immediately starts making the clicking sound again. I got down underneath and looked at the starter and had a friend turn the ignition and saw that the starter wasn't doing anything at all.. so I'm thinking this is the problem. The belt looks okay.. there's no cracks or anything.. and I"m hoping it's not the alternator, but there really aren't any signs to suggest that's the problem that I know of. My vechicle is a 2001 Explorer Sport, and I'm trying to find a guide online that will explain how to replace the starter but so far no luck.. Can anyone point me in the right direction to do this? I really don't wanna pay a mechanic if this is something simple to do. Also, a diagram of the entire engine would be good, but I couldn't find anything like that on Ford's website. Thanks for any help and advice in advance.

"think" isn't a good enough reason to replace a part.
things to try:
remove drivebelt and try turning over motor, there's a reason for this.
remove starter, and get it tested, then you know if the part is really dead.

the clicking means that ther is not enough current to turn over the starter motor (right now), if you are using low quality cables or have a bad connection, it will still click when jumping/boosting.

if it still only clicks after it's out then replace the starter.

No I don't know of free online manuals for the sport trac, try the library for a Haynes/Chilton manual. There maybe some threads here also, but you will have to use the "search this forum" tool button.

+1 to above suggestions

Check the wires that run to the starter and make sure their completely connected.

Check all ground wires as well.

Back