• Register Today It's free!

Problem with 4x4

ExpoSittinLow

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Tonight it snowed and I was on my way home from work, I went to put on 4x4 and it engaged but the wheel started to shake really bad, and I couldn't steer it. I finally got into a empty parking lot and turn it off and drove in reverse and it still did not disengage. I tried a few more time and then it finally disengaged.

I have the stock auto hubs, could this be the problem?

BTW it on a 93 XLT 4x4

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A problem with the auto hubs is a possibility, but there's not enough to go on to say for sure. What do you mean by "couldn't steer?" Was it pulling to one side? Jerky? Turn the wheel and the truck continued straight? From your brief description, I could contribute it to anything between the hubs and the transfer case. Axleshaft u-joints in particular come to mind in addition to the auto hubs as a possible culprit.

I could steer but is was really hard too. and the steering wheel was really jerky.

When was the last time you used 4x4 and what did it feel like? Is your xlt stock or does it have a locker etc. When you were in 4x4 were you on dry pavement or was the road still snow covered? When backing up to unlock the hubs did you backup straight?

I used 4x4 last year but when I tried to turn it off and cut the wheel it wuld sound like the tires were rubbing somewhere. Its has stock everything I didn't change anything. When I pu on the 4x4 last night I was on a snow covered road. And it did back up straight, but did disengage it took a few times of going back and forth.

If you're in 4x4 then steering is going to feel heavier... Steering is going to feel even heavier if the road surface is dry or you're making sharp turns... A few years ago I went to work in 4x4 during a snow store without any problems.. When I got to the underground parking garage I was still in 4x4 and drove in slowly...As soon as the front wheels hit the dry pavement I could feel the whole steering tighten up. I tried to turn the wheel slightly to the right, but the front end was under lots of strain and steering was super heavy. The X wouldn't move unless I really gave it a lot of gas. I turned off 4x4 and was able to drive right in... Basically the hubs were still locked, but because 4x4 was off the front drive line was disconnected from the T-case and basically just free spinning... I am wondering if you blew a U-joint at the stub axle shaft and its now binding... You need to check the U-joints @ the steering knuckles to verifyt they are still ok.
Some other related threads to look at:
U-joint problems Broken U-joint

As for maintenace items:
When was the front diff and transfer case fluids changed?
When were you're U-joints last replaced?

I know not the drive on dry pavement with 4x4, but when I put it on I was on snow. I never changed the front diff or the transfer case fluids. Another thing when it was on I let go of the steering wheels and drove straight slowly the steering wheels was moveing back and forth by itself really fast.

As mentioned above the next step would be for you to confirm the U-joints are ok. Obvsiously if you haven't changed the fluids they are probably due.

Is it hard to change the u-joints? Also what kind of fliuds does the t-case and front diff take. And how do I drain and fill them, sorry for all the questions.

Ok I just checked the u-joints. They are all rusted but they don't look broken.

Ok, the next step would be to diagnose any differential or hub issue... with the front wheels pointing straight jack up both front tires so they are only 1" off the ground.. Block the rear wheels and ensure the E-brake is set.. You can then manually rotate the front drive shaft by turning it with your hand. (ether direction). This will mimic how the t-case sends power to the front diff...The shaft should turn easy and you should see the stock axles being to move (not wheels). After the axles have made a few revolutions the autohubs should lock at which point the wheels will move... since the wheels are off the ground the only binding can be in the diff, U-joints, Or hubs... Also try rotating each wheel by itself to see if you can feel any binding... At the end rotate the shaft in the opposite direction and the autohubs should unlock after a few revolutions...

^^ ok, thanks a lot, I'll try that tomorrow.

Ok I did what you said to do and the passenger side wheel is the only one that moves the driver side does nothing. I tried to move the driver side wheels with my hand and it went freely, no binding or nothing, so is it the auto hub on the driver side not working?

It sounds like autohub is bad, but a few more questions/tests will confirm it.. When turning the front drive shaft you indicated the passenger axle shaft turned and started started turning its wheel. This means the pass side autohub has correctly locked :thumbsup: ... When turning the shaft was the driver's side axle shaft moving? If it was and the wheel never moved it indicates the hub failed to lock and is bad :( ... If the axle didn't move then it indicates power is not being transmitted throught the diff to the driver side... In this case the passenger side is getting all the power... Lower the passenger wheel or block it to stop if from moving. Now rotate the shaft, the power should be transfered all to the driver's side...

The driverside axle shaft was moving just the wheel wasn't. So its a hub issue, should I switch to manual hubs?

IMO when the autohubs break it is time to get manuals.. Manuals are many times stronger and 1/2 the cost of autos... You need to take the autohub off and see whats going on with it (it may be busted or just cleaned).. Autohubs are a near dry assembly and only require a thin film of grease within the hub... Often times mechanics pack the hubs with grease :thumbdwn: which is a known cause of engagement issues.

I'll check the auto hubs tomorrow. How much grease is supossed to be in there. There was a lot the last time I checked them. Also where can I find Manual hubs.

Thanks a lot DeRocha I really apperciate the help you've given me.

If you search on autohubs you'll get lots of info... Check out AutoHubs maintenance for some good info.

DeRocha said:
If you search on autohubs you'll get lots of info... Check out AutoHubs maintenance for some good info.

Cool, thanks a lot, I'm gonna try and clean them out with some ATF, and see if that'll work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back