Problem with my Explorer again (sensor?) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Problem with my Explorer again (sensor?)

Reaction score
City, State
Coulterville, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT
Hey again guys. As some of you know, I recently replaced the fuel pump in my Explorer. Well, going down the road the other day, the engine just shut off and would not restart. I have gotten it to start recently but it would only run for 5-10 seconds. It will usually not start on the first turn of the key but it will on the second. After that it will run for 5-10 seconds and then shut off. It will restart again but the process repeats itself.

To me it sounds like a sensor but I am not sure which one it would be. Any help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey again guys. As some of you know, I recently replaced the fuel pump in my Explorer. Well, going down the road the other day, the engine just shut off and would not restart. I have gotten it to start recently but it would only run for 5-10 seconds. It will usually not start on the first turn of the key but it will on the second. After that it will run for 5-10 seconds and then shut off. It will restart again but the process repeats itself.

To me it sounds like a sensor but I am not sure which one it would be. Any help?

Sounds like fuel-pump might not have been installed properly. Is the CEL on and did you get any codes? If it was installed right there *might* be a defect in the pump itself that's causing the problem.

If the fuel pump wasn't installed properly, why did it run fine for the past couple weeks?

Well it's hard to say. There are always weird problems like this when doing DIY jobs on your vehicle. Like I replaced a sensor that I thought was causing a problem and it fixed it for about a week then the problem came back. It had NOTHING to do with the sensor I realized but for that week it was running right haha.

its possible the pump went out where you buy it autozone feul pumps are no good hope you didnt get it from them

I've checked this fuel pump. It is working properly. Also when I said it runs for 5-10 seconds, I meant at approx. 200 rpm and extremely rough.

Crank Position Sensor could be doing that.

Are you getting a Check Engine Light/have you checked for fuel pressure?

If you are getting a CEL this is the truck telling you where to look for a problem..Also if you are concerned about the fuel pump working, check for output at the test port off of the fuel rail...

Somehow I would bet the fuel pump is not causing this problem but you can rule that out by spraying starting fluid into the air intake hose and start the engine...Since it takes a couple of tries to start your engine there are other issues here to consider..

When was your last tune-up? Fuel filter change? In-tank fuel strainer was changed with the new pump right?

You can also check for pump output by pulling the line into the fuel filter and cycle the key on with a bottle on the line to catch the fuel...Plus you can see if there is trash in the tank to cause a fuel pickup problem...

And since the engine is only running a few seconds, pull a plug and see if they are extremely white[lean mixture], wet[fouled with fuel/oil] or not firing, or physically damaged....

Let us know what you find....

Back