• Register Today It's free!

Problem with new headunit

ExpoSittinLow

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'06 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I just installed a Jensen VM-9412 into my X. And it won't keep playing when the key is turned off like the stock one did. As soon as I turn the key off, the raido turns off too. Now I had this same headunit in my 06 F-150 and it stayed on untill I opened the door. Is there something I need to wire up in the X to keep this feature on the new headunit?

Any help would be appericated.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just installed a Jensen VM-9412 into my X. And it won't keep playing when the key is turned off like the stock one did. As soon as I turn the key off, the raido turns off too. Now I had this same headunit in my 06 F-150 and it stayed on untill I opened the door. Is there something I need to wire up in the X to keep this feature on the new headunit?

Any help would be appericated.

Thanks.

This is not a headunit issue. Modern Fords allow the power window/sunroof/radio circuit to remain on for (I think) ten minutes or until a door is opened. Previous generations, however, kill the current when the key is turned off.

This is not a headunit issue. Modern Fords allow the power window/sunroof/radio circuit to remain on for (I think) ten minutes or until a door is opened. Previous generations, however, kill the current when the key is turned off.

yea, but when I had my stock headunit in, it would play untill I opened the door. But it won't do it with the new headunit. BTW This is on a 2006 EB Explorer

if its like my stock radio in my 98 expy, theres a separate harness that only has one wire in it and this is a ground and im asuming by usingit it doesnt cut power to the radio unless the door is opened. i didnt wire it up using this wire but i have tested it so i know for a fact its a second ground. maybe if your stock radio has this aswell you can try hooking that wire up to the ground aswell

if its like my stock radio in my 98 expy, theres a separate harness that only has one wire in it and this is a ground and im asuming by usingit it doesnt cut power to the radio unless the door is opened. i didnt wire it up using this wire but i have tested it so i know for a fact its a second ground. maybe if your stock radio has this aswell you can try hooking that wire up to the ground aswell

When I removed the stock headunit, there was 3 harnesses 1 for the subwoofer, 1 for the power ground ignition and speaker wires, and 1 for the cd changer I'm assuming. I hooked up the one for the subwoofer and the power and ground because that all the wiring kit came with.

Also the TV doesn't open up when I start the car. It will open when the ignition is moved to the run position but it wont when I go to start it.

I have run across this, but can't remember exactly what I found. It may have to do with the factory radio being designed to accept the power separately from the accessory delay relay. I just can't remember for sure. If you can find a factory wiring diagram, it should be clear as to why you aren't working. You must be missing the power lead from the relay somewhere.

Back