• Register Today It's free!

Problems with Borla headers?

The Godfather

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Sport Trac
I saw that 1/3 off deal at carparts.com and can't pass up the Borla headers for $220. My mechanic said there was some problems with putting headers on the 4.0. It was a while ago, but he said something about them not sitting right. After reading on here, it doesn't seem like there's any problems other than getting the bolts out. Any input on this?

------------------
93 XLT 4 door
Big, green, and slow

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I installed a set of Heddman headers on my '94 and didn't have any problems. There's a lot of stuff on the passenger side above the exhaust manifold but its not hard. You might need a set of shorty wrenches for the bolts. It took me and a friend about 5 hours to get my set in.
'94 XLT 4x4
Heddman Headers
CGS Motorsports Cat-Converter
Borla Cat-Back Exhaust

------------------
'94 XLT,4.0L,4x4

5 hours! Damn, just looking at the drivers side, i know i can get that thing off in 15 minutes. What did you take off to get to the passengers side?

Tony 91 Sport

Hey man where did you get heddman hedders and how much did they cost I have never herd of headmans for a 4.0

------------------
Robbie J 1991 XLT 4x4 4.0 4-door

Tony,

If you get the driver side off in 15 minutes you will be my hero... It took about 1.75hours drivers side and 2.25hours passenger side. I know it looks easy but I think my 4x4 convertion will be less challenging than these headers were. I had to cut one bolt off with an air grinder. No problems so far with the headers...

------------------
Kris Guilbeaux
1992 Navajo Lx 5-speed
attempting 4x4 convertion
--
http://www.tisd.net/~guilbeau/explorer.html

I just ordered borla headers from carparts.com. Hopefully I'll be able to get those bolts out, lots of salt gets in the engine compartment. I'll use this as an excuse to buy some air tools.

Kris- how much noise/power does it have now compaired to before?

------------------
93 XLT 4 door
Big, green, and slow

No problems with the Borla headers for me either - just the lost skin on my knuckles. Getting to the bolts will be the most difficult thing.

A tip - remove the wheel well liners to get access to certain bolts.

I think 5 hours was a better time than I made!

Good luck!

------------------

RobbieJ,

Got the set from a local speed shop. Its funny but I couldn't get my hands on a set of Borla's(that's what I really wanted). I think they cost me about $150 but that was a few years ago. My mind is slipping.....Haha

------------------
Rayzer '94 XLT,4.0L,4x4

Back