Proceedure for PTU fluid level check with PTU cooler | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Proceedure for PTU fluid level check with PTU cooler

DeraldR

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer Sport
Just had a pre-purchase inspection done, all went well EXCEPT for checking the fluid level of the PTU.

This sport has 43,000 miles on it and when I legally gain ownership, I will be changing all fluids.

Shop is saying that since it has a PTU cooler, it is not possible to check the fluid level without removing the cat..........

Is this correct ??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure if it has to do with the cooler, but there are some versions that do require cat removal to get access to the fill plug.
I believe the Sports are one of them.
And actually, the fill 'plug' I believe is a temperature sensor in those models instead of just a plain plug.

When I did my drain/fill, I just drained fluid from the drain plug and then filled through the vent hose at the top. I added 18oz of fluid...or whatever is the recommended capacity (I don't remember actual value off the top of my head).

You can get to the 8mm hex drain without removing the cat however it is pretty tight. I recommend removing the cat so you can get better access and be less likely to strip it. Plus with it off you can inspect the rear turbo and the wastegate linkage which are prone to rattling. The 3 bolts on the turbo flange will need soaking in PB blaster or similar product

My Interceptor Utility also has the fill plug blocked by a catalytic converter.
Unless you see wet spots or a leak...you may choose to do what I've been doing. Drain the PTU from it's drain plug into a measuring cup. I use a paint mixing cup. Add the same amount via the vent tube. In my case, I lengthened the tube until it's up near the master cylinder. Easier to service from there.

Thanks guys......I did buy the car in question.....A 2016 Sport with 33,000 miles.

This one { Our 5th Explorer) is a replacement for our 2006 Mountaineer that was totaled out 2 months ago.

For my first PTU check and fill, I will drop the cat and do a complete flush and refill so that I know it is topped of at the bottom of the fill hole.

After this first check, I will have a reference point to do drain and fill through the vent tube.

And FWIW, all fluids will be drained and refilled, not just the PTU.

Thanks guys......I did buy the car in question.....A 2016 Sport with 33,000 miles.

This one { Our 5th Explorer) is a replacement for our 2006 Mountaineer that was totaled out 2 months ago.

For my first PTU check and fill, I will drop the cat and do a complete flush and refill so that I know it is topped of at the bottom of the fill hole.

After this first check, I will have a reference point to do drain and fill through the vent tube.

And FWIW, all fluids will be drained and refilled, not just the PTU.

Cool.

And yes, I think it's always a good idea to change fluids on a new-to-you used vehicle.
On the Explorer, the main ones are engine oil, PTU and rear diff. Trans is a close 4th. with coolant a distant 5th....at least that's how I see it.

I will say my 14 Sport has had 2 PTU, rear diff and trans drain and fills in 8+ years and 110K+ miles (purchased new).
First time was done around 60k and 2nd just a little bit ago at 105k. Neither times did they look bad. Coolant got it's first drain/fill last fall.

Back