Project: Getting my Gas mileage back | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Project: Getting my Gas mileage back

JoeC5

Reaction score
City, State
n/a
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Eddie Bauer
Ok, my gas mileage is horrible. I cant even get 200 miles to a tank while driving on the highway. Right now I am getting 180 to a full tank. I cant take it anymore so i am replacing everything from Throttle position sensor to 02 sensors, FPR and so on. Now 1 question. On my old t-stat the needle would go up to half way, with the new one it rarely goes past O in nOrmal. Does that sound right. its a 195 degree. Oh yeah, on which side on the t-stat is the sensor for the computer?

[Edited by JoeC5 on 01-26-2001 at 03:31 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

[ I just changed my T-stat to a motorcraft I had a stant in there before the temp is now in the "O" area of normal, This is where it was when the truck was new.With the stant brand T-stat the temp would flucuate from the middle to near the high area. I belive the sensor is in the manifold just before the T-stat

I have a NAPA and I fluctuates from the N to the L. My old Motorcraft one, when it worked, would remain in the middle.

There are two sensors on the engine for temp. One on the left and one on the right, the bigger of the two (passenger side) is for the EEC. The one on the driver side is for the temp guage. If you are trying to recover gas mileage, I would suggest changing the FPR first to save some dough. If you are not getting a check engine, then your O2 is probably OK. Change the FPR and you will notice a difference immediately. I was getting about 180 miles to the 1/4 mark when I went on a trip to Pa to change my FPR. Changed the FPR in Pa and on the way home my mileage jumped to 200 miles to the 1/4 mark. I was also getting a check engine at the time, so I changed that when i got home and the truck was back to normal 250 to the 1/4 mark.

Try the FPR first and see what happens, replacing all those sensors can get expensive, especially if one or more is not installed correctly the first time.

On my old stant t-stat in would stay in the middle and go to the L. Good idea Triton. Start of with FPR and go from there. Since the gauge is reading low, will this effect the gas mileage at all? Thanks for the help guys.

[Edited by JoeC5 on 01-28-2001 at 10:36 AM]

If you mean the Temp guage reading low...yes. The EEC of the Explorer will continue to run the engine rich until optimum temperature is achieved. Even if you change the thermostat you could still have a problem with the EEC temp sensor on the engine. Change the T-stat first though and see if that helps...it gets expensive from there.

It sounds like yours is fine as long as it is not under the O.

I just changed my t-stat 2 days ago. Thats the problem, it doesnt go above O at all. Did i buy a faulty t-stat. I am really starting to dislike my truck.

[Edited by JoeC5 on 01-28-2001 at 11:29 AM]

Back