PTU differences - turbo vs N.A. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

PTU differences - turbo vs N.A.

Post number 12 has been selected as best answered.

I am an Amsoil dealer. I would use nothing else.
PERMATEX pipe sealant works everytime for the last 15 years on my Harley for a NPT plug that you are not supposed to take out.
The NPT also fits closer to the housing and is less likely to get snapped off.
Sure NPT works fine when it's sealed and not removed repeatedly, but that's not what's going on here. NPT fittings aren't meant to be consistently removed as will be done when converting the RDU and PTU, that is the purpose of the AN fitting (or at least go with ORB). As for snapping off? LMAO, not sure where you got that from..the fittings are tucked up higher than anything else. If you've snapped that thing off, you've got bigger problems.

And using Harley as an example? C'mon now! I'm an avid HD owner have owned at least 5 in my lieftime, have custom built from the frame up another 4 or 5 (Dynas, FXRs and Softtails) and am VERY familiar with pretty much every aspect of them (it's actually my first love), but you and I both know those things leak like a sieve, no matter what you do...especially those older one.

Anyway, I don't really care if you go with them or not, I'm just suggesting to stay away from NPT fittings and go with something else. I simply designed those in order to facilitate frequent changes (I change after every race weekend) and felt I'd pass on this to others. They are extremely popular with the SHO crowd and Explorers as wells as Flex's could benefit from an easier drain/fill solution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Following up on this thread, I just located a 2017 PIU from our local police motor pool that was banged pretty bad and salvaged. The 3.7L was hit pretty hard, but the PTU seems intact. Thinking of heading there tomorrow to harvest this PIU for my stockroom. Wanted to check on the known tech updates for the 2017 PTU. Any significant improvements to justify grabbing this?? This subframe is already setting on the ground, so the labor will be minimal. Will also be convienent to add the drain plug where it should be and a fill tube next to the vent line. I will probably use a braided steel brake line with an increased I.D. and a capped fitting on the end to effect an airtight seal. Will make fill times occur in real time too.

Following up on this thread, I just located a 2017 PIU from our local police motor pool that was banged pretty bad and salvaged. The 3.7L was hit pretty hard, but the PTU seems intact. Thinking of heading there tomorrow to harvest this PIU for my stockroom. Wanted to check on the known tech updates for the 2017 PTU. Any significant improvements to justify grabbing this?? This subframe is already setting on the ground, so the labor will be minimal. Will also be convienent to add the drain plug where it should be and a fill tube next to the vent line. I will probably use a braided steel brake line with an increased I.D. and a capped fitting on the end to effect an airtight seal. Will make fill times occur in real time too.
Yeah that'll work well. Dual line will keep oil from fighting the displaced air as it goes down...brass fitting I used in this photo is for representation only, I went with one a bit smaller, but there's plenty of room...

20200621_081556.jpg

20200621_082352.jpg

Thanks ... I appreciate the internal photos. Something you don't see much even in the Workshop Manuals. They left ample air space at the top.
-- The question that lingers is whether Ford put any marked improvements into the PTU for 2017 to alleviate overheating and premature wear.
I've heard rumors, but not seen any tech bulletins or the like. Cheers ~ Dave

Thanks ... I appreciate the internal photos. Something you don't see much even in the Workshop Manuals. They left ample air space at the top.
-- The question that lingers is whether Ford put any marked improvements into the PTU for 2017 to alleviate overheating and premature wear.
I've heard rumors, but not seen any tech bulletins or the like. Cheers ~ Dave
Latest revision was late 2016. Idler gear bearing improvement..nothing since then. But to be honest, I would never recommend using a used PTU, especially one coming off a PIU...those things get abused quite hard. Go with new, too much potential for premature failure if you don't. Get one listed for a 2019, then you can be confident you have the latest and greatest. Unless you open the case, seeing wear on the idler gear or idler gear bearing is impossible.

Back