Puddle lights don;t work w/ courtesy lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Puddle lights don;t work w/ courtesy lights

jjetta1170

Reaction score
City, State
Hicksville, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT 4.6L V8
Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT that I am having issues with. The side mirror courtesy lights (AKA-"puddle lights") are both NOT working. I tried changing both bulbs but no luck. When I pulled out the bulb on either mirror the Ford factory alarm is triggered. and the interior dome lights turn on.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or anything similar to this?

BTW-- I have checked all the fuses also. Please share your thoughts or experiences.

Thanks for the help in advance all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the puddle lamp relay in the aux junction box?

Hello everyone,

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer XLT that I am having issues with. The side mirror courtesy lights (AKA-"puddle lights") are both NOT working. I tried changing both bulbs but no luck. When I pulled out the bulb on either mirror the Ford factory alarm is triggered. and the interior dome lights turn on.

Has anyone else experienced this issue or anything similar to this?

BTW-- I have checked all the fuses also. Please share your thoughts or experiences.

Thanks for the help in advance all.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I had similar electrical issues with my 02 xlt. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the delayed accessories didn't work, etc. Most recently all 4 windows stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 2 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Hope this helps out!

Haven't had a chance to pull out the fuse box to look underneath. I will definitely give it a shot.

BTW-- do you which position it is? The owner's manual doesn't list it.

Thanks for the help.

The aux junction box should be located behind the passengers d pillar

auxbox1.jpg

auxfuse1.jpg

Follow-up on puddle light issue

Thanks for the insight and the diagram (very helpful).

So.. here's the update.....I replaced the puddle light relay. The passenger side puddle light is the only one that now works. I swapped the light bulbs to make sure it wasn't a burnt out bulb (it wasn't).

What I did find is that the interior lights now stay on for a ridiiulously long time when I pull the key out of the ignition. Also the radio now turns off the second I pull the key out of the ignition.

Another thing I found is that everytime I try to adjust the driver's side mirror, the dome lights and passenger side puddle light along turn on along with the "door ajar" chime coming on.

I am leaning towards this problem being a grounding issue somewhere but don't know where to start. Am I wrong in thinking this? Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks.

i was looking at some wiring diagrams and the timing of when the lights turn off is controlled by the battery saver relay. Another thing to look at is the Accessory delay relay

Im guessing its one of the door ajar switches, had the same issue with my 03 limited

Just finished checking out the relay mentioned previously, It took some manuvering but I was able to get the fuse block out but the relays were okay.

"Black" how would I check the door switches to verify if any one of them is the culpret? They all turn on the interior dome lights when I open the doors

Thanks

Check my earlier post ^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just finished checking out the relay mentioned previously, It took some manuvering but I was able to get the fuse block out but the relays were okay.

"Black" how would I check the door switches to verify if any one of them is the culpret? They all turn on the interior dome lights when I open the doors

Thanks

Hi all i did was go to the door with the most use, drivers door removed the door panel, and dug around near the lock mechanism for the switch pulled it out and it was the problem, its plunger was seized.

There is a how to replace door ajar thread on the forum somewhere.

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update everyone. I followed BigRondo's advice and checked for broken wires in the driver's side door. I found a broken black ground wire. Once I spliced it together the problem was solved.

Thanks for the good advise BigRondo!!!!!!

Hey guys,

Just wanted to update everyone. I followed BigRondo's advice and checked for broken wires in the driver's side door. I found a broken black ground wire. Once I spliced it together the problem was solved.

Thanks for the good advise BigRondo!!!!!!

You are welcome!! Glad I could help out. :biggthump

I hate to bring up an old thread but my puddle lights just stopped working today. I have fixed the broken wire in the door that would not allow the interior lights to **** off. I looked in my owners manual for where the fuse would be but saw no description. Is the heated mirror fuse on the same circuit as the puddle lights? Any idea on the color of the wire for the puddle lights that could be broken? Any help is appreciated. They used to turn on with the interior lights when I unlock the truck with the key fob. Now they do not come on by unlocking or the doors or opening the doors.

Back