Pulling a 2000 Explorer V6 with my 1999 V8 Mountaineer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pulling a 2000 Explorer V6 with my 1999 V8 Mountaineer?

Harpua216

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Mercury Mountaineer
Looking for any advice regarding towing a 2000 V6 with my 1999 V8 Mounty. I am considering other options more than this one, but I keep coming back to asking myself if this would be advisable or even doable.

Would probably rent a dolly from UHaul or borrow one. The tow would be about 90 miles with limited turns, etc., mostly highway.

I know its not really the same thing but i have a boat & trailer thats about 2500lbs together and i dont even feel it behind me at 75MPH+

thanks

PS the 2000 is worth it. black state vehicle with 104K on it.. dying to go get it and play!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't tow it with the bumper hitch/ball. You're talking about a 4000 pound vehicle. A frame mounted hitch would be okay. Keep the speed down (towing on the hwy you're probably limited to around 45 MPH). U-Haul will not rent you anything if you mention the word "Explorer". "Mountaineer" should be fine (I know it makes no sense).

Ditto. Use a frame mounted hitch, keep the overdrive turned off, and accelerate easy with that weight.

I towed my 99 Limited home in 2005 with my 98 Mountaineer, 170 miles using a full car trailer. I went up one steep NC hill on the interstate, and 40mph was tough for that one big long hill.

The trans ATF heats up quickly on hills or a lot of acceleration. Be easy with it doing those things.

I wouldn't tow it with the bumper hitch/ball. You're talking about a 4000 pound vehicle. A frame mounted hitch would be okay. Keep the speed down (towing on the hwy you're probably limited to around 45 MPH). U-Haul will not rent you anything if you mention the word "Explorer". "Mountaineer" should be fine (I know it makes no sense).

Thank you. I have a Class III 2' ball. From what I have read, the tire thing killed it for the Explorers with Uhaul. I was wondering the same thing about Mountaineers, but I think they used different tires..

I think i might give it a go and see. the ride is mostly rolling hills with some high points. nothing too steep, but one long one that i can sneak in between a few rigs on if i need to.

Ditto. Use a frame mounted hitch, keep the overdrive turned off, and accelerate easy with that weight.

I towed my 99 Limited home in 2005 with my 98 Mountaineer, 170 miles using a full car trailer. I went up one steep NC hill on the interstate, and 40mph was tough for that one big long hill.

The trans ATF heats up quickly on hills or a lot of acceleration. Be easy with it doing those things.

Was wondering about OD too. If i get above say 45-50 or on the highway should i turn it back on? should i turn it off on inclines? leave the heck alone? lol

The OD should be left off, ... unless you knew that the trans fluid was not too hot at the time you were on a flat road at highway speed with no need to give it gas. Meaning if the ATF temps are normal and the driving is constant low throttle cruising, you can get away with using the OD. But the OD is the weak link, a thin band that doesn't hold with high throttle or towing heavy loads.

I had a few distances like that on my trip, I drove the front section at under 60mph so I left in "D" for about 140 miles of my trip. I had a section of almost flat interstate near the end of about 20 miles, and drove about half(a few small hills) of that in OD, light throttle.

The Explorer just does not have sufficient ATF cooling to maintain good fluid temps for towing.

I have two used Super Duty ATF coolers I'm going to make fit into my two main trucks later on. The first will be the bigger one to go in my mail truck, and the other will be for my 500hp truck. I will use an oil thermostat adapter I'll alter to keep temps below about 150 degrees. Mine are not intended for towing, but the cooling needs are the same.

I'd turn off OD any time it feels like the engine is struggling, like when climbing long hills. The V8 trans is a 4-speed, so if you're around 50 MPH you should be fine driving in 3rd gear. Check/smell your trans fluid afterwards to make sure it doesn't smell/look burnt. If it does, change it. To err on the side of caution, leave OD off for the entire trip and keep the speed down.

thanks guys i will definitely take some pictures and let you know how it goes!

Man... For an extra $200 on top of your purchase price, I would strongly consider just paying a tow truck. The $200 is a guess, but I shouldn't be too far off.

Man... For an extra $200 on top of your purchase price, I would strongly consider just paying a tow truck. The $200 is a guess, but I shouldn't be too far off.

it was actually quoted at $360 minimum. thats with roadside assistance covering it. I saw an explorer pulling a crown vic down the hghway like butter this weekend. i am sure she can do it,.

I towed a 2001 Toyota Avalon on a tow dolly about 60 miles across Atlanta with my '97 5.0. Above 55 or so, the rear end start to waggle pretty badly, so watch your speed. Had no problem towing thru traffic. Good luck.

The only way that car will end up on a dolly is if explorer is the trim package for an older rear wheel drive vehicle like an 83 ranger 4 cylinder short bed 2wd.

The reason for U-Haul not wanting to rent trailers to Explorer drivers was not due to tires but due to the rear bumper hardware failing. And what keeps the ball mount hitch on the truck ? The hardware for the rear bumper ! Get a good receiver hitch and you should be good to go.

The reason for U-Haul not wanting to rent trailers to Explorer drivers was not due to tires but due to the rear bumper hardware failing. And what keeps the ball mount hitch on the truck ? The hardware for the rear bumper ! Get a good receiver hitch and you should be good to go.

I've never heard that, but I've heard a lot about tire issues. The rear bumpers on the Mountaineers are no different that the Explorers. Personally I wouldn't pull more that 1500 lbs on the bumper hitch.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_and_Ford_tire_controversy

The bumper is attached well, that hardware is very good, not grade eight but equal to the same hardware used for a frame mounted hitch.

The bumper itself though is not nearly as strong as the heavy and thick steel of a frame mounted hitch.

I have one of my hitches off of the truck(Mountaineer) right now, I had it powder coated to save it from the rust. The thing is very heavy compared to the bumper, and it would take a ton more force to bend it than the bumper.

The Firestone tire recall is the issue with U'Haul, and they were not and are not smart enough to identify the problem(tire pressure). They still don't allow those Explorers to rent their products, even though the tires in question are long since gone. The recommended low pressure on the door tags still exist, that was a lot of the problem. If you start with a 27psi recommendation, that is already on the verge of being too low for towing. Typical people don't absolutely always check the tire pressure when they tow. They of course will look at the tires, but that's almost useless to really know what the pressures are. Every tire failure was from low pressures on highway trips.

Back