Purchasing an AWD Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Purchasing an AWD Explorer

BIG D

Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, Va
Hey everyone!

Im looking to purchase an explorer really soon and I would just like some advice.

The one Im looking at now is a 2003 Limited, AWD V8, for $14,995 with 50k miles. I was wondering how dependable the AWD is on explorers, since I know they only offered it for a couple years. Are there more noticable problems with AWD than there are with a the 4WD option in the long run?

This explorer is relativley low priced compared to other ones Ive been shopping around for. It is also a limited, and has almost every option available.

ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!! thanks in advance

I have an '04 V8 AWD and its great and I own a jeep 4x4 (similar to the ford 4WD). Its mostly used on dry roads 30% Snow 25% Rain 25%, dirt roads 15%, off road 5%.

Positives on the AWD: No shifting into 4wd as AWD is always on dry, rain, snow, dirt roads, two tracks you will great traction all the time, also great for my wife who doesn’t think of shifting in the Jeep, no electronic module to go bad, kinda of rare in a Ford (common in the Mounty which is what your getting but in a Ford Badge).

Negatives: What it doesn’t do is allow you to drive in 2wd which maybe knocks of less than 1mpg off, AWD has a viscous clutch that can go bad. It does not have a Locked Center Diff, no 4wd low (In the 10 years that I owned the Jeep - less than 5% of the time have I used the Locked 4wd and I have never needed the 4low).

4WD: Not sure about the problems with the Ford 4WD system its an electronic clutch activated system, although some comments that I have picked up is that its Clunky, partial sloppy conditions it will engage and disengage several times a minute as if its unsure what to do, the Electronic module and Electronic clutch can go bad either one is not cheap.

I buy the AWD without hesitation, but your situation maybe different.

For what most people use a 4x4 SUV for, AWD is just fine. In all the 4x4 vehicles I've owned (and there's been a lot!) I can probably count the number of times on one hand that I've used or needed low range. I think it's a "guy thing" more than anything else...I looked at AWD Explorers and somewhere in the back of my cranium something said, "why get that girly AWD? Get a real 4x4." That, and having that little filler panel on the dash where the 4WD switch went bothered me...It looked like something was missing or deleted. Probably the same way a dog that just got neutered feels when he licks himself, you know, down there.

I dunno...In retrospect, I'd have been just fine with an AWD. It would perform just the same if not better than the 4WD version.
(I'd just have to buy one of those soccer ball decals for the window and put a couple kid seats in the back though.:D)

My 02 AWD Limited has been a decent ride to date (84K miles), with no reliability issues. Others experiences and opinions have varied. My previous, a '97 AWD 5.0, also loaded, actually had a few minor issues, none signifiant, through about 80K miles when I sold it.

I preferred the '97, but my wife likes her 02 better (more civilized, I think). Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend the '02

Back