2004 awd explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2004 awd explorer

bobkaspar

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 ford explorer
I had my oil changed a couple of days ago.
I drive a 2004 AWD Explorer Eddie Bauer with approx 44000 miles

they told me i need

1 a transaxle fluid change
2. front differential service
and
3. rear differential service.

my question is:
is there a front differential with an AWD explorer
thanks

bob kaspar

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If it really bothers you, just don't change them.

I had my oil changed a couple of days ago.
I drive a 2004 AWD Explorer Eddie Bauer with approx 44000 miles

they told me i need

and

my question is:
is there a front differential with an AWD explorer
thanks

bob kaspar

Welcome to the forum!

Who told you this and what was their reasoning behind it?

Yes you have a front differential, but unless you've been really rough on the truck, the differentials an transfer case shouldn't need servicing at 44k miles. Check the owner's manual for the service interval recommended by Ford. I'd bet it's at least 100k miles.

they told me i need

and

May first answer is: any service shop that, without prompting, provides me a list of needed service items - Do not return, do not pass go, do not spend $200.

They may be right but they may be generating income (transferring your dollars to their pockets) by recommending useless (or worse) unneeded maintenance. They work on fear and ignorance (no insult intended). Too many shops use this dishonest technique, and I think that there is a special place in hell for those who use this business practice on the unknowing.

So, refer to your owner's guide, the smart people on this site (not me - I come here to learn), and get a second opinion. There is no better service than finding a reputable repair and maintenance shop.

Okay, to the answers -

1. You do not even have a transaxle - so that is a bad sign - if they said that (was it in writing?) they are not even trying to be credible (recommend referring this to the BBB). You do have a transfer case; however, but it should not need routine service at 44K miles, unless there is some indicator (heavy towing, heavy off-road use, leaking, case damaged, fluid level low, fluid gone bad, was submerged, etc.)

2. As far as the differentials, (you have front and rear ones) the owner's manual/service guidelines tell you all you need to know about them, check it out. I seem to think that no service is required until 100K miles - and then only fluid change is specified, unless there is a problem (see list above under transfer case, and add the differential whine which is not common with 2004's).

I say find a new shop. Unfortunately, with the ever increasing complexity of these machines, combined with the decreasing emphasis on physical work in the average household, we all are quickly made ignorant on what it takes to maintain these vehicles.

And Good Luck

Welcome To The Forum! I too don't think you should need the differential fluids changed just yet.

thanks guys

thank you all for your information.

This oil change was made at one of those 'quick change' outfits.

every time i take a car in it always seems that it needs $400-$500 worth of work but i usually ignore them.

thank you all for your information.

This oil change was made at one of those 'quick change' outfits.

every time i take a car in it always seems that it needs $400-$500 worth of work but i usually ignore them.

That probably explains it. They train their reps to say you need more service, whether you do or not (and most may really believe that they are doing you a favor).

I agree that you are correct to ignore them. Problem is, given their business model, and their overall low training level (not that there may not be some good conscientious folks hidden in the staffs of these places), production and revenue driven metrics, lack of responsibility for errors, and anecdotal evidence of down right dirty dealing (charging for work not done, parts not replaced, and using cheapest possible replacement parts/fluids even if you get charged for better parts), why would you want to go there? Just my .02.

This 'recommendation' may be all the warning you need from these places to find a reputable shop.

My own experience: I gave one of these places one shot - wanted to charge me about $500 (20 years ago) for a brake job, saying that everything needed to be replaced, and used scare tactics in an attempt to get me to write the check blindly. I subsequently redid the brakes (Ford Taurus)for < $50, and they lasted aver 70K miles just fine).

From my friends' collective experience: Honda tranny destroyed (wrong fluid used in "recommended' change) - 2500 damage - no responsibility taken, Ford tranny destroyed (wrong fluid level) - no responsibility taken, Two cases of drain plugs not tightened resulting in dumping oil and damaging engines on highways (no assistance- well you get it), two cases of leaving the old oil filter gasket on resulting in blowing out all of the oil and stranding the cars, three cases of not reinstalling the oil filler cap, resulting in bathing the engine compartment in oil spray with attendant damage.

When I get concerned about proper maintenance, I consider not only what work and when, but how it gets done right which is at least as important.

(this concludes the sermon- sorry for the rant)

motorcraft oil is syn blend

motorcraft oil is syn blend

?? true, but I am missing the connection between this fact and the topic of this thread?? Pls assist.

I have a '04 V8 AWD Open 3.55's. I normally do my own oil and fluids but the front Diff looks a little hard to get to. So At 36k I wanted to switch the differentials to a Full Synthetic Mobil1 (Amsoil would be fine to) Rear 75-140w , 85-90w for the Fronts, and fresh Mercon IV? for the transfercase (which is what you have, it’s not a transaxle).
I brought my own fluid and I was able to negotiate a drain and fill with my Mobil1 for $15 each Front and Rear, I used their trans fluid for the transfercase $30.

I was surprised to see how dark the fluids where being only 36k miles, my jeeps. If I’m not mistaken the Diffs maintenance is 24K, might as well do the transfer case while at it. If you plan on keeping it a while it can only help.

What's always baffled me is why they require a different viscosity in the front diff vs. the rear. I asked a very knowledgeable guy who owns a 4x4/offroad shop and specializes in drivelines about this, and he told me that every front diff that goes bad, regardless of manufacturer, gets the same full synthetic 75w140 gear lube same as used in the rear end when it gets rebuilt. He hasn't had one fail yet.

I could get more into what our conversation consisted of, but the general consensus for the sake of those here is to fill both diffs with a good 75w140 full synthetic gear lube such as Mobil 1, Amsoil, Schaeffer's, or Red Line. It's good preventative maintenance.

We more or less concluded that cost, not longevity or any other factor, was the reason for using a conventional 80w90 in the front, and a synthetic 75w140 in the rear. The manufacturer probably had to do the rear to avoid warranty issues, but since the front isn't used as hard, they felt it was unnecessary, at least not necessary to get it thru its warranty period. After that, they couldn't care less what happened to it.

I double checked in the FSM for '04, it states the Rear Diff is a lifetime fill with full synthetic to be changed at 150k mi. Extreme duty they recommend 100k change. If the axle is submerged in water (towing a boat) they say to change it afterwards. If filled with Conventional oil they recommend 3,000mi. I found it odd that it didn’t say anything about the front diffs, I’ll dig a little deeper, it maybe the same as the 2ndGens. For the xfercase its 60k mi.

Although even considering the above I’d still change Front/Rears/xfercase every 30k regardless of whats in there. But I also tow a boat and drop the rear axle in the water. I might even go as far as doing the rear after every boating season just to be safe, and hopfully to prevent the dreaded rear axle whine.
Jim

Back