• Register Today It's free!

push button start?

patman

Reaction score
City, State
lincoln NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 sport
what would it take to make my 96 explorer sport ohv a push button start? i know the basics but would it just take cutting the wire from the ignition that cranks the starter and running that to an instantaneous switch? or is there more to it?

thank you in advance, i know the help from the people on this forum is always excellent

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It depends on if you want a full push button (no key) or to turn your key to 'RUN' then push a button, which in my opinion is pointless. If you want true push button start, there's more to it than that. I had my '91 set up for push button start, and did it like this:

1) You need a 'ignition' switch that puts power on the essentials when you turn the key to RUN.

2) You need an accessory switch that turns on the extras when the key is on run (radio, power windows, wipers, etc). Items 1 and 2 could be on the same switch, but you'll need a big wire. It takes a lot of current to run two windows at a time and stuff like that.

3) You need your momentary on pushbutton connected to the wire that gets power when you turn the key to start.

4) You have to disable your steering wheel and gear shift locks (if its an automatic). For my first gen, you can pull the lock cylinder, rotate the gear in the bottom forward by one tooth, and put the cylinder back in. This makes the 'lock' position on the key slightly forward of the original lock, which lets the wheel turn and lets you take it out of park, without having any accessories running (this took some time and trial and error). This also lets you still drive it like normal with a key if you ever need to, and if you turn it back to what used to be 'accessory' it is actually the steering lock and makes a nice safety feature.

5) you need a heavy gauge power wire feeding all of this with an automatic resetting circuit breaker. I was driving along one day, went to put up both my windows at the same time and it fried the fuse and the truck died...

So...after all that, to start the truck, you flip your 'ignition' and 'accessory' switches, then push the starter button, and away you go.

I used a moroso switch panel from JEGS with extras for lights and all.

Hope this helps you out.

i did wanna do it so i turn the key to run and then just push the button so then i have the protection of someone not being able to jump into my car and take off without the key so am i right as to how to do it....still using the key?

You could have a magnetic reed switch hidden behind a panel. Place a magnet against that panel, and it will close the contacts of the switch. The starter will crank until you remove the magnet. A relay would be recommended since these switches can't handle a lot of current.

So you want what some people call a dummy switch? On a 96 it should have the pats system, if i remember right that's what Ford uses. One way to tell is if you have the big black square shaped base of the key. Without the key it's VERY difficult if not next to impossible to start and run the vehicle.

The problem with the push button is, if someone knows enuff about the wiring they are gonna rip the wires and splice beyond any switch you install. There are a couple models of cars in the past that required you hold down the lock button to start it as a theft deterent. All this did was keep kids from joy-riding because career criminals would jump the wires right at the firewall.

You could install a fuel pump kill switch in series with the inertia switch for extra anti theft protection.

I like this idea, so your basically just making a remote toggle location for your inertia switch. Would have to be tricky and hide it inside the center console or ashtray. Although honestly speaking, I don't think a 96 Explorer is very high on chop-shop or joy-ride lists. Something like this they are just going to steal the contents of the vehicle. Generally cars are stolen for selling or to drive something fast and fun.

heres my plan, since i believe there is already a relay for the starter (because the wires for the starter on the ignition are so small) i was just gonna take the wires for the starter off the ignition, and run them to an instantaneous switch, this way all i must do is put the key to run, and push the button, then my ex will start right?

heres my plan, since i believe there is already a relay for the starter (because the wires for the starter on the ignition are so small) i was just gonna take the wires for the starter off the ignition, and run them to an instantaneous switch, this way all i must do is put the key to run, and push the button, then my ex will start right?

If you don't have PATS (chip in the key) then yes. All you really need to do is find the wire that comes off of the steering column to the starter (in my '91 it was pink, but you can go to bulldog securities website and they have charts for almost everything). Splice in a large wire from your battery, through a fuse, through a heavy duty push button switch, to that wire.

If you want to be able to start it by button or key, leave the wire hooked to the harness. If you only want to be able to start with the button, cut the wire and hook your switched wire straight to the starter end.

Back