Pwr Steering Pump Internal Filter??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Pwr Steering Pump Internal Filter???

kmank

Reaction score
City, State
Danbury, Connecticut
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 XLT
Back again. Still struggling with air in my lines. Bought all new parts: rack n pinion, pump and both the pressure and return lines. Tried everything you folks suggested I do but I'm still getting that "buzzing" from pump and the hard steering. I must say that both those problems will not be there when I first start it up and begin driving. I'll get a few blocks (sometimes further) and those probs will begin. I'll drive for a while and all of a sudden everything will be back to normal and the steering feels fine. I reverse flushed the system by switching lines at the rack and flushed until I got a nice clean flow of fluid. Put it all back the right way and flushed again until I got the same results. When I started engine the "buzzing" was gone, I thought I had it.
Did the hard over-left to right a number of times and chk'd pump and saw no bubbles. Ok, you know the rest. Can you tell me if theres some kind of "cleanable" filter or screen in the pump that I can chk n see if it might be loaded with junk? This may not be the answer but I have to cover all my bases. I could still be messing up on the bleeding process and I'm not ready to givin' up. Again, any suggestions or help from any of you will be appreciated.
Thanx again. gk

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you fill it with Mercon ATF? Mercon V works too...

Uh oh....I've been flushing and using AutoZones power steering fluid. When I bought they knew what vehicle it was going in to and I bought plenty from many different sales people. I figured if they didn't say anything then what I was getting was alright. Can you tell me different? Thanx for reply. 'preciate.

don't know what the difference in the p/s fluid would be, but as Ford recommends Mercon and your problem seems to show up after the fluid warms up, i'd try using the correct fluid. it could be the AZ stuff is cavatating. God knows you've changed everything else...

I heard numerous issues on Ford's steering related to using regular PS fluid (Taurus/Sable/F150/Explorer).
Reading the owner manual always helps.

Sorry I'm late replying to you both but it was great to see your suggestions. I've got 3 qts of AZone p/s fluid that I was ready to return but now I'll just exchange them for the Mercon (if they carry it) and flush and replace with it. What the heck, I'll keep on trying whatever sounds like a possible solution. Thanx again. Yer all some fine people. gk

Fast Dave. Yep. I read this, I guess, from you a while back. I did purchase it and did do everything as told. Used it quite a few times. But the problem still persisted. After finally settling on some Dex/Merc ATF to replace with what I had in there, gave it a good flush job, changed both pressure and return lines and removed the p/s cooler ( only temporary ) to eliminate chance of any air leaks and finally gave it a good 15 mile drive around town today. So far so good. Steering hasn't stiffened up on me (PTL) and there's no leaks. Pump still sounds a little loud but that can be from my overactive imagination, waiting for things to go downhill. Geeze, I just hope I'm not jinxin' things. Thanx fer hangin' in there with me thru this. Appreciate your help.

Back