• Register Today It's free!

Qs about the master cylinder...

94_explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Cotati, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Sport
I have a couple of quick Qs regarding the master cylinder.

1. How do people here remove the hydraulic line retainign pin from the master cylinder?

2. When the master cylinder is bled properly, do you think there should be any play in the cylinder before it begins to really engage the cylinder?
(My hydraulic line is currently detached from the slave, and I was able to bleed the master a bit. Now when I press the clutch, it has about an inch of play before it get's hard to push. I'm wondering if this is correct of if I need to bleed it some more?)

Many Thanks...

I have no answers to your question but it appears you posted this in the wrong section (Transmission and Transfer Cases) - so just to let you know, I'm moving this thread to Explorer Repair Tech Modifications Detailing > 1991 - 1994 Explorers > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers.

Good luck!

Usualy hydraulic clutches are self adjusting. My F150 took forever to adjust. I think I cycled the clutch 40 or 50 times before it caught up. Also, if you have a new master cylinder, you should replace the slave as well. They say a new master can blow out an older slave. Sorry cant help on the retainer.

Josh said:
Usualy hydraulic clutches are self adjusting. My F150 took forever to adjust. I think I cycled the clutch 40 or 50 times before it caught up. Also, if you have a new master cylinder, you should replace the slave as well. They say a new master can blow out an older slave. Sorry cant help on the retainer.

Well, the good news is that I just finished replacing the Slave. I was going to replace the Master, but I couldn't get that pin out yet. I guess I don't have the right tool. However, when I put the master back in (I had it unbolted and semi-removed) I got some more pressure. I may have to pull it off again to try and increase the pressure.

I'm just wondering about the play in the pedal, and how much play is normal.

Back