Quality is not job 1 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quality is not job 1

Same goes for me with regards to my dealership. Riverview Ford Lincoln in Fredericton has been awesome. They went above and beyond. A great experience that actually made all these problems a little easier to take. Big Thumbs UP......

Here's the issue that nobody wants to admit to. The Explorer is essentially a $30,000 vehicle that Ford gussies up to try to get people to believe that's it's a premium $50,000+ vehicle, which it is not. They all come down the same assembly line. It's just some of the pigs get lipstick, and others do not.

I admit I have a low end XLT that went off the dealer lot for under $30,000. Is it perfect, no, but I feel that for a $30,000 semi-full size SUV, it's a pretty good value. There are a few little fit and finish issues, but they really don't concern me. Now, if my pig would have gotten the lipstick treatment, with the cheap leather seats, something called MFT that doesn't seem to work most of the time, engines and transmissions that are less than smooth and refined, and I paid $50,000+, yeah, I'd probably not be happy either.

But if we think this is a luxury vehicle, then we are deluding ourselves. It's just a common, run of the mill, mid priced people and junk hauler, no more no less. Ford isn't stupid, they are going to wring out every nickel they can by selling the Sport, Limited, and now the Platinum versions. I think of all the models, the XLT makes the most sense.

I wouldn't exactly call the new luxury seats cheap. I don't know what the regular leather ones look and feel like but the ones in my XLT are leather with a suede inlay and nice stitching. They are some of the nicest seats I've ever had in a recent car including a 2010 Acura TLX, 2012 Subaru Legacy and my wifes 2013 Acura MDX. The leather seats in the 2015 Grand Cherokee I test drove weren't as nice either. Like I said before, I don't know what the standard leather seats are like but the optional seats I have are extremely nice and comfortable.

MFT has also been flawless. Only complaint I have up to this point is the fact Ford is not saying it can be upgraded to the QNX system down the road.

2014-12-19-16-34-19_zpszc1q3azk.jpg

Back