Ford really does not care about "Quality is Job One" | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford really does not care about "Quality is Job One"

First off it is not a "misalignment"

IMG_20121021_192229_785-vi.jpg

The foam that was injected into the shell shrank. It is visibly pulled down. See the pucker above the silver trim ...this should not be there! it should be smooth!

IMG_20121021_192439_248-vi.jpg

Secondly........

If it was your Explorer you all would be whining about every little issue too. I see it all over the boards! When you spent $37K plus on a fraking vehicle you would expect the dang door panels to at least match up to the dash board. Lesser vehicles have better quality control than this! It is noticeable by me every day. No I do not stare at it it just irks me that it exists! And everyone that rides in comments about it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I feel the OP's pain. The only thing that is worse than the overall quality of our Explorer is Ford's attitude toward fixing the problems. It is mechanical and it will break, everyone should understand that. What separates car companies is how often they break and how they respond to getting the problem fixed. The Gray Ghost is nothing but a missed opportunity in my eyes now.

As for the statement "it's a Ford not an Audi or Range Rover", that just irritates the living daylights out of me. Like spending $43k on a car is such a small amount of money that it is okay for the manufacturer to marginally engineer their product or not stand behind it. I wonder how much Ford would have appreciated it if when they deposited our check it was only worth $35k. I'm sure they would complain, but all I could say is that is normal inflation. Sorry...

I know that this thing happens to every car manufacturer, but the point is I didn't give every car manufacturer our money, we gave it to Ford. Now I am feeling burned.

At any rate... take your lumps, dump the car, and consider it a lesson learned. Many other car companies would love to have your business :)

Well, enough of my rant.

This is just the very best advise, I've seen on this Forum for sometime. It's too bad, but Ford just doesn't care, and that's most likely why they don't use the slogan "Quality is Job One" anymore. best regards Plum

Not at all surprised by your post Plum. As for me, I have not run into any of the situations described. Any issues were taken care of promptly and efficiently. I would not hesitate to get another Explorer at all. In fact I'm planning on getting a 2016 or 17. The 2011 Limited was an excellent vehicle. There are posts in the forum where Ford and dealers have gone to various lengths to satisfy the customer. To say that Ford doesn't care, is completely false in my opinion. Any manufacturer that depends on sales, and more importantly repeat sales, will look after their customers as best they can. Unfortunately there are cases where for some reason or another this doesn't happen. I'm sometimes surprised when owners get upset when something needs to be addressed after the warranty period is over and they are refused coverage. There is a reason the manufacturers offer extended service plans and everyone has the option to buy one. There are numerous posts where Ford or the dealer has picked up the cost even though they were not obliged to. There comes a time when an owner has to accept the responsibility for their decisions and not blame others.

Peter

You are correct peterk9. I had an issue and ford and my awesome dealership that i have been leasing from since 1998 has always taken great care and have even gone to the extreme to help me...!

Secondly........

If it was your Explorer you all would be whining about every little issue too. I see it all over the boards! When you spent $37K plus on a fraking vehicle you would expect the dang door panels to at least match up to the dash board. Lesser vehicles have better quality control than this! It is noticeable by me every day. No I do not stare at it it just irks me that it exists! And everyone that rides in comments about it!

The obvious solution is to trade your piece of junk for a lesser vehicle of higher quality.

There comes a time when an owner has to accept the responsibility for their decisions and not blame others.

Peter

Not to Plum.. Every post is negative and frankly I just don't understand why he/she continues to come to this forum. They offer nothing helpful by any means except the whole "negative nancy" routine. Just sell the damn Ex so you can be happy (if that is possible) once again.

My 11 is fantastic, granted just about every TSB has been performed but all have been fixed the first time except for 1 and nothing has reoccurred (65,000 miles now). Granted I completely expected issues on the 1st year of a brand new model.. if you don't, you are crazy.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one as long as the size fits my needs.

As long as it doesn't squeak/creak/rattle, I could live with a minor panel misalignment.

Again it is not a "misalignment"!

Again it is not a "misalignment"!

Actually, looking at the photos you posted, it is a misalignment. I see what you're saying about the "dimple", but that wouldn't really bug me that much. It doesn't really look all that out of place. What would drive me crazy is the obvious misalignment. Look at the "break points" between the silver trim and the black parts of the door panel. Now look where the door meets the dash at those points. There is an obvious vertical misalignment, of the horizontal seams/break points. It also looks like the gap between the door panel and the dash is not consistent from top to bottom.

I think you are 100% correct that ford should fix it. Its still under warranty, and this is clearly a manufacturing defect. Regardless of whether it affects safety or not (which it doesn't), it still ought to be right, and if not, you have a right to have it fixed. You could try suing them. It make more sense to do so in small claims court. Its unlikely they (Ford) would even show up, and you would win a default judgement. Then, their legal dept. would probably just pay it upon presentation. Granted, it might not be much (small claims are usually limited to $2,000-$5,000 depending on jurisdiction), but it would be a moral victory, plus it would help cover some of the depreciation you are experiencing.

For those of you saying you are just "living with it" on your vehicle, you are part of the problem. Letting Ford get away with it, and not making the biggest stink you can lets them feel "safe" ignoring the few people who do have the guts to hold them (Ford) to the standard they were paid to deliver. If all affected owners raised hell, Ford would not be able to ignore it. Is it a Mercedes? NO. But it costs nearly as much, and there is absolutely no excuse for sloppy manufacturing/panel fit and finish on a $40-$50k vehicle, period. If it were a $15-$20k economy car, maybe you live with some cosmetic imperfections, but not a vehicle of this price range. As far as I'm concerned, Ford owes this guy (and every other affected owner) a properly made manufactured and installed door panel(s), period. If they have to scrap 20K "bad" ones and and have them made by another vendor, too bad. That's what they have to do. If Ford has to spend 10 million dollars, and the CEO loses his annual bonus, oh well. They made the problem, its on them to fix it, no matter the cost or inconvenience. Its called having honesty and integrity, something sorely lacking in much of society today, especially among big companies.

Another option, although a long shot, is to see if you can make a even halfway credible claim that this defect in the panel affects either the seal of the door to the outside, and/or the duct work routing defrost air from the dash into the door. If so, it becomes more then a cosmetic flaw. It now becomes an issue affecting a major mechanical system (HVAC), the malfunction of which could substantially impede your use/enjoyment of the vehicle as designed/purchased. Then, it opens up the possibility of a lemon law claim, depending on your state laws. You've already brought it in at least twice (from the sound of your post) for the same problem. Most states, is 3 strikes and they're out. If the manufacturer can't fix a significant defect in 3 attempts, they have to buy the car back from you. It might be something worth looking into, if you really want out of it, without having to take a major hit on re-sale (which you shouldn't have to if they sold you a defective vehicle). Again, that would all hinge on proving it is more then just cosmetic, but actually affects a mechanical system, and/or substantially impedes your full usage/enjoyment of the vehicle. This is probably a long shot though.

Anyway, this is just another reason why I would never buy a new car. Total waste of money. Might as well buy used, after someone else has gotten the problems sorted out, and taken the huge hit on the depreciation.

The only reason I would consider it is to get the EXACT vehicle I wanted. The only way that would be possible is if I had enough money, and clout, to run roughshod over the dealer and/or the regional sales people with Ford, to basically force them into building what I want, not what they want to sell, in terms of options, tweaks, disabling "mandatory" "nanny" garbage, etc... Think Jay Leno, or maybe Bill Gates walking in and demanding the car they want, built exactly to their specs. Otherwise, it isn't worth it.

The obvious solution is to trade your piece of junk for a lesser vehicle of higher quality.
Anything would be better then this piece of garbage! Now the windshield washer is inop .......... Motor runs, but nothing comes out of front or rear sprayers. At times it will operate, but more times then not it will not. 19,000 miles and 2 1/2 years old ..... A real waste of $$$$$$$$ ! And it is the same line when you bring it in ...... They can't seem to find the problem. This truck has been a problem since day one. You never know what to expect from it from one day to another. NEVER AGAIN !!!!! :mad:

Anything would be better then this piece of garbage! Now the windshield washer is inop .......... Motor runs, but nothing comes out of front or rear sprayers. At times it will operate, but more times then not it will not. 19,000 miles and 2 1/2 years old ..... A real waste of $$$$$$$$ ! And it is the same line when you bring it in ...... They can't seem to find the problem. This truck has been a problem since day one. You never know what to expect from it from one day to another. NEVER AGAIN !!!!! :mad:
Sounds like there might be something in the line blocking the fluid since the motor works. Have you checked the washer fluid tank to ensure that all is good there?

Peter

Sounds like there might be something in the line blocking the fluid since the motor works. Have you checked the washer fluid tank to ensure that all is good there?

Peter

I was thinking loose connection on pump or air leak so lines are not pressurizing.

First world problems at their finest.

Hehehe, if I had paid third world prices I wouldn't be aggravated so much by my first world problems :)

Well for what it's worth, my 2008 explorer is Ford # 22.

I have only found one to be a piece of crap (a 1992 F250 with 90k miles but unbenounced to me it was a city plow truck for it's entire life so it was beat to #&%@)

Otherwise, I have been EXTREMELY satisfied with the Ford brand.

I've also owned 5 GM products (1999 cadillac deville, 1993 lumina, 1992 1500 chevy, 1994 1500 chevy, and 1992 bonneville) and all but the bonneville were JUNK. I have also owned a 2006 charger and 2000 Durango that were not worth their weight in dog excrement.

Ford all the way. You're not buying a 100k car, op. The cost of making that perfect every time far exceed the benefit. Short of one or two people in a thousand, no one else cares. Not even car guys like me with immense attention to detail.

Ford DOES need to ditch the plastic trim crap all over the new body style explorer and offer body painted moldings (like on my 2006-2010 body style truck) but other than that no complaints!

Edit:

Top mileage cranks for some of my rides...

1995 Explorer - 270k before kid I sold it to killed it (tranny died again)
1992 Ranger 2wd 3.0 - 468,000 miles (original drivetrain)
1992 F150 5.0 2wd - 360k
1994 F150 5.0 2wd - 290k
2003 Ranger Edge 3.0 - 160k when sold still perfect
2003 Explorer XLT 4.0 - 150k when sold NO issues

I think those are the top mileage cranks. 468k is MORE than impressive for me. UGLY as sin that ranger was... but reliable as hell. Until the flywheel bent. Scrap time.

Ford borrowed heavily from Range Rover on the 5th gen. Blacked out rear pillar and the same look terrain management two name two.

The $90k-$150k Range Rover also has plastic body moldings along the bottom.

The purpose is so the paint does not get marred driving off road - not that the Ex or the Range Rover go off road much. The Range Rover is far more capable, but I don't think people spending that kind of money want to even scratch the plastic.

Yeah but it looks tacky I know why they do it but it's just hideous. Dodge/Chrysler/jeep and GM all get it and offer vehicle trims without the plastic crap. It's just ugly and most true "car guys" (who don't plan to off-road) would prefer painted trim.

That's honestly my only complaint. It will be negotiated with my next explorer purcbSe

Yeah but it looks tacky I know why they do it but it's just hideous. Dodge/Chrysler/jeep and GM all get it and offer vehicle trims without the plastic crap. It's just ugly and most true "car guys" (who don't plan to off-road) would prefer painted trim.

That's honestly my only complaint. It will be negotiated with my next explorer purcbSe

I agree that by the 2015 model year Ford should have offered lower body molding in body color as an option. A bunch of refresh things I would have done by 2015. Personally, I like the way the black molding contrasts with my white Ex and with all the Range Rovers where I live it does not seem out of place, plus I'm an off road guy who likes off road looks, but I understand people like the one body color, so Ford should have had it as an option by now IMO.

" Within specs " is Ford's new code word in the service departments. It means it's good enough for us................ship it out and sell another one.
I have a 2015 and have experienced this first hand. They say that" they are all built that so it must be right ". It is not surprising to me that the big three will eventually go bust with that kind of attitude. The only caveat to that is GM brought in a woman to clean up their mess .......... if Mary Barra can pull this off and stay sane ........ she might be the saviour of GM .........BUT ........... she will have to slay the "OLD BOYS" club in the process and that is a pretty tall order.

Gypsy

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back