Question about door speaker crossovers? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about door speaker crossovers?

catbreath

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer XLT
I'm finally doing a small audio overhaul in my 13 xlt with the base (non sony ) 8 speaker system. I'm going to be adding:

Kicker components 6x9s in the front doors
BOSS 1100w amp
Infinity 12 sub
Kicker 6.5 rear doors (at a later date)

The threads I've read around here make it seem like this will be a non trivial install as these aren't the easiest cars to work on with the strange speaker sizes and all, but I do still have 2 questions:

1. Do the front door component speakers have a crossover, and if so where is it located? (bear in mind this model does not have an amp in the back right)

2. A lot of the threads talk about running running a power cable for the amp along the drivers side and then coming up through the floor under the drivers seat, is this really the best routing option? and does coming up through the floor risk water and whatnot getting into the cabin? (I live in a snowy area so the roads are often mucky)

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would like to know this as well. Do the front door speakers have a crossover and where is it?

I couldn't tell you but I am having a shop install some Memphis 6x9 components next Saturday. Im not sure but it sounded like they wanted to use the factory crossovers? I guess I'll see Saturday. I have the factory Sony system.
I will be installing rears and a 10" sub later.
Im wondering where you guys are putting the amp?

I chose the Kenwood 6x9's for my front doors because of the lower frequency response.

Back