Question about locations of GWNF trails. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question about locations of GWNF trails.

rhyno

Reaction score
City, State
Potomac, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 EB
So I have decided to go to GWNF some time in the next few weeks with a couple friends of mine for some offroading and camping. Using the Search feature I found lots of info about trails. (Peters Mill, Dictum, Old Long Run.....) The thing that I did not find was directions on how to find these trails. I could not get a good idea from the GWNF website either. Is there anyone that can help me, or point me to a specific link, web site or map? Also, what are the best trails that I should not miss. I am running a TT, war 153, aal, and I just removed my EB running boards. I'm on 30 inch tires.
Thanks.

One one or two of the threads is a link to a web site with GPS and directions for various trails. I dont have the link handy but its on here.

I would run Old long run, kephart, and the dry river trails.

You may also want to sign up on the GWNF group on yahoo- run by a guy here in Gaithersburg, rides show up everyonce and a while. Hes also the one who publishes the web site with great trail write ups on legal trails "local" to DC.

Also try offcambercrawlers.org (maybe com) if you get on their list rides show up frequently.

have fun and tread lightly.

Thanks Steve

You may want to try topozone.com. It has USGS topographic maps available for that area. You can also by the USGS maps at architectual and engineering supply stores. A Virginia atlas and gazetteer, by DeLorme is an essential map. It does not give as much detailed trail info as the USGS maps, but it will tell you how to get to the trails and also how to get home from the trails.

Back