Question for XLT owners: does "heated mirror" symbol light up on your side mirrors? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question for XLT owners: does "heated mirror" symbol light up on your side mirrors?

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
We have an XLT, regarding the defrost feature, there is a button in the middle dash that is supposed to turn them on at the same time that the rear glass defroster as well as the heated side mirror.
I have noticed that the side mirrors do have a "heated mirror" symbol, but they do not ligth up when I turn on the rear glass defroster...are they supposed to? is it normal that they don't?
I'd appreciate if other XLT owners can do this test and let me know their findings :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We have an XLT, regarding the defrost feature, there is a button in the middle dash that is supposed to turn them on at the same time that the rear glass defroster as well as the heated side mirror.
I have noticed that the side mirrors do have a "heated mirror" symbol, but they do not ligth up when I turn on the rear glass defroster...are they supposed to? is it normal that they don't?
I'd appreciate if other XLT owners can do this test and let me know their findings :thumbsup:

nope

Hi was this issue resolved? I have noticed the same on mine. Is this a fuse issue?

No, the mirrors dont light up. Arent supposed to.

They don't light up. You notice they do their job though when in the rain or cold weather, the water and stuff is gone! :D I like the heated mirrors.

Thanks guys, This design is very strange, IMHO. I hope it's designed differently on future models, unless it will infringe on an existing patent.

I've not seen a mirror light up. The BLIS system lights up, it would be confusing to have stuff going on and off on your mirrors like a DMV vision test.

If the light is on for the defroster, why do the mirrors need to light up too?

I would imagine that if one of the mirror malfunctions due to damage/wear and tear, it may be very difficult to detect. In this case, because the rear defroster lights up this doesn't mean that all mirrors are functioning.

I would imagine that if one of the mirror malfunctions due to damage/wear and tear, it may be very difficult to detect. In this case, because the rear defroster lights up this doesn't mean that all mirrors are functioning.

If one of them malfunctions it wouldn't clear ice and be pretty obvious. And if they did have an indicator light how would you see it the mirror was covered in ice? It would be kind of needless and redundant.

Good point, however, Some of us uses the heated mirror to clear water on mirror. I wonder why they included the indicator on the BLIS system? IMHO, having an indicator takes the guess work out. Do you agree?

Good point, however, Some of us uses the heated mirror to clear water on mirror. I wonder why they included the indicator on the BLIS system? IMHO, having an indicator takes the guess work out. Do you agree?
The BLIS indicator lights up to indicate someone/something is in the blind spot area of the vehicle. There is no other indication whereas the defrost for the mirrors and rear window have the indicator in the switch to indicate they are 'ON'. Some manufacturers have the BLIS indicator mounted elsewhere near the mirror, but not on it.
Also, keep in mind that there is also no other indication that the rear defrost is 'ON' either, except for that same switch.

Peter

It's apparent that you are not familiar with how the BLIS system operates. The indicator only comes on when a vehicle is in your blind spot....the indicator remains "off" otherwise....but the system is ALWAYS on. The heated mirrors are ALWAYS on if you have activated your rear defrost and will remain on until you deactivate the rear defrost....I can't see why you would need a light on the mirror to remind yourself that you turned it on to begin with......it would just be an annoyance IMHO....

Got it.... Thanks for taking the time to explain. I understand how the BLIS system works... I thought I read somewhere that having the BLIS option also means that there's also a lit heated mirror indicator built-in only available with the BLIS system option. My error.
Thanks guys.

Back