Question on A4LD bushings | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Question on A4LD bushings

BobWeiss

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanitc City, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
I am in the middle of rebuilding the A4LD and have purchased new bushings for the clutch drums. What is the best way to remove the old ones and install new ones? They look like there are just pressed into place but I was wondering if it can be done with hand tools?

Bob W.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not had great luck with replacing bushings in stamped steel drums, and I have a press. The cast drums you can sometime make work... but it's difficult to find bearing tools the right diameter. Generally if the drum is stamped.... I just buy a new one rather than try and replace the bushing should the bushing need replacement.

I have the stamped type but I also have a set of bearing race and seal drivers and one of them fits perfectly into the center of the OD drum and rests on the existing bushing. I was thinking of driving that one out and putting in the new one the same way. A question I have is what is holding the old one in besides being driven in? Is there locktite on it or something? Do I use locktite on the new one to get it to stay in place? There doesn't seem to be any marks on the inside of the drum center either to tell you where to place it and how far from the lip it should be driven from either side. Is this critical when replacing them or can you be off a few thousands of an inch or so? Nothing in the manual on it.

I was hoping you would chime in on this since you did it before (or at least you mentioned it in your diary) and you never stated wether or not you actually replaced them.

Also, does a new drum come with them installed?

Thanks for your help,
Bob W.

New ones come with new bushings installed. I had tried to press out the OD Drum bushing and ended up deforming the drum. To the best of my knowledge they are just pressed in, no locktite... I have gotten some out of other trans parts and never found any evidence of same.

Location is not THAT critical, but measure the location of the old for reference. Let me know how you make out.

For the tranny experts:

I was able to pound out the bushings in the overdrive and intermediate clutch drums and now I am ready to install the new ones (both are identical) but before I do I wanted to get an opinion on this. The new bushings are inserted 80% of the way by hand and the last little bit I am going to have to tap them home lightly. My concern is that they don't seem to be really tight against the drum and I am afraid they might spin in place while in service. How would you secure the bushing to the center shaft like the old ones were? Should I use some sort of locktite? If so which type? I think once the fluid is moving throughout the unit the brass or bronze (not sure which) surface will allow the center and pump shafts/sleeves to spin freely in them without spinning themselves...does this make sense to anyone??

Thanks,
Bob W.

Use red locktite. You do not want the bushings to spin.

After checking the inside of the drums with a micrometer I determined that there is a raised lip where the bushing sits so it took some good smart hammer blows to seat the new bushing. It isn't going anywhere. When you look at it with the old bushings in place you cannot tell its raised..that is what threw me off.

I took some pictures of the procedure and will post them here shortly.

Thanks for your help! :thumbsup:

Bob W.

Back