• Register Today It's free!

Question on replacement keys.

evintho

Reaction score
City, State
Santa Rosa, CA.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Explorer
My new to me Explorer came with only 1 key and I need another one for my wife. It's chipped so the locksmith quoted me $85. Really?...........it's a friggin' key! Is there any way around this? I noticed these on Amazon. They look like blanks. Could I purchase these then have the locksmith cut 'em at a normal price? Thanks in advance!

https://www.amazon.com/TRANSPONDER-...rd_wg=7fCGU&psc=1&refRID=B891WJ6D6QRQP1KF8XQA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From my knowledge there is no way around the chipped key. If you just had a key cut the car would not start with that key until it's programmed. I think the car will still crank but the fuel injectors will be shut off. You could program the key to your car yourself if you did have the locksmith cut a key, but I think you have to have two working keys before you can program a third key to the vehicle. Other than that a locksmith, dealer, or some repair shops will have to program the new key.

Oh wow, thats cheap for most newer vehicles!! At least $150 on a Sante Fe. LOL

You likely can program the chipped key but usually requires two good keys. See the owners manual. It depends on year of the the Explorer. PODS can be done similarly.

Correct. This is a good reason for you to actually have the guy make you 2 keys. The 2nd key will usually be discounted quite a bit. Having 3 functioning keys means if you lose 1, you will have 2 working keys so you can purchase a 3rd blank to have cut, then program it yourself.

You need a chiped key. You can get your original cloned at walmart for far less then that. I think it was around 30 bucks at a locksmith for a cloned key. Myself, I bought 2 chip keys on ebay a few years back for 20 bucks each I think. If not a little more. Then you have to get them cut, get it done at a locksmith so they are done properly, you only get one shot at that and the walmarts and home depots have a pretty good chance of screwing that up. Then you need to program it, and your best bet is to find a delaership that will charge by the half hour, because its about a 5 minute job to hook up the computer and authorize the new keys. Then you take 1 key and keep it in a safe, because if you have 2 independent transponder keys, you can program a third. If you have one or less you have to go through this procedure all over again.

I have 2 keys with the separate FOB and bought an all in one key and FOB on ebay for 16 bux, It looked ok had it cut at a locksmith.
During the programming when I put the key in the ignition it went in hard and I stopped about half way and it was stuck. I was able to get it out and noticed the groove on both sides is slightly wider than the originals and may not have been as deep. The ebay seller said they never had a problem with their keys and agreed to take it back. The ignition is not as smooth as before with the original keys but still works. Never had a problem with ebay keys before but I will check mine over with a magnifying glass next time before putting in the ignition

I don't know but sometimes and OEM will make a blank change so that another family of keys cut can work without a lot of others being the same in the vehicles family. Each vehicle is NOT uniquie, there are others with the same key!!!

Maybe a characteristic of the year. Dealer should know if the blanks different or via the VIN #

I just bought a 2002 Ford Explorer an it came with only one key, however this did not have a transponder in it but it still works

I think the car will still crank but the fuel injectors will be shut off.

on my 98 it would crank but on my 07 i have a dummy key that has no chip and I use it to start the engine and lock the doors.... I hold my good key up to the one in the ignition while starting and it will start then if someone breaks in and drives off they cant restart the engine.... lol.... but if you dont hold a good key in the right spot it just turns like the battery is dead and then the obdII shows a code theft detected... same exact thing if you try to start the engine with the cluster removed

Just my 2 cents for anyone interested. I have an 01 jeep grand cherokee and an 06 explorer that both came to me with one transponder key each. I went to the dealer on the jeep (bought first) and paid 150 to cut and program a second key. On the ford i went to ace harware who cut and programmed a key for $85. You need to be aware of what you want and what you are getting. The key for the jeep is a master key where as the ford key i got is a clone. A master key has a unique code separate from the original key. A clone is reprogrammed with the same code as the original. You must have 2 separate master keys to program new keys, otherwise it will read rhe original and clone keys as one because they transmit the same code. I havent tried it yet but the forscan program mentioned above appears to be the way to go with ford products. Once you have 2 master keys it is a simple process of key turns to program a key. A word on 3rd party blanks, i ordered blanks off of ebay for the jeep and took them to the local ace. They wanted $35 a key (to replace the wheel on their key machine if the alloy in the key was wrong) to cut them and wouldn't replace the key if it didn't work. Find out their cost to cut without programming. I got lucky, my dad works in a maintenance department that has a key machine and has a cool boss who let him cut mine for free. Made four four for each vehicle off ebay blanks. Only issue i have is i havent been able to program the ford ones because of the clone key. I intend to remidy that with forscan shortly.

Back