• Register Today It's free!

Questions about body lifts....

WannaXP8

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
I was wondering if I get a body lift will I need....
1) New brake lines
2) What all does it affect, like gas and brake peddles?
3) Well what all comes in a body lift?
4) Do they make bumper lifts for the bumpers??
5) Any other questions that I dont know, but you might give me some helpful hints...
Thanks
Chris

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1) No, you will only need to disconnect a small braket that holds your ebrake to the firewall on the driverside.
2) It doesn't effect much from what i've seen. On mine since I did a 3"BL I had to get rid of the lowwer part of my fan shroud and relocate the upper half.
3) Depending on the kit, the bolts, nuts, body lift perches, and bumper brakets. You will need to get defferent hardware (nuts and bolts) since no one makes a BL for the Explorer.
4) They do, the ones that came for the front worked on mine. The rear you may have to custom make. I haven't made my rear yet, so I have the bumper on the highest notch which creates a gap of 1-1/2" from the bumper to the body. The reason I haven't changed it yet is because I have a class 3 hitch and if I raise the bumper there will be a lot of space between the bumper and the hitch which in my opinion looks lamer then it is right now.
5) These are a PITA to do, but real expensive if you have someone else do them. Open up a weekend and have at it. I ordered a BL for a 98 Ranger and it seem to work fine other then the hardware.

Good luck!

dont forget the steering extension bracket

Ryan

Yeah, that too, thanks Ryan!!!:D

ummm..well thanks for all the info.
who did yours?
And the all important questions
How much for the body lift and steering extension bracket and where do you get that??

The steering extension comes in the body lift kit. Also, if you use the radiator relocation brackets to relocate your radiator down 3" so that it keeps the orignial geometry with your engine fan, you won't need to remove the shrouds. With a '98 all you will need to buy is the Ranger kit from the '98 - '00 and the extra bolts. The front bumper lift brackets are supposed to work on the '98 and up Explorers. Since mine is a '97, I made my own. You will have to create your own rear bumper lift brackets or do some major modifications to the ones in the kit. They are easy to make though. Just a flat piece of metal with four holes drilled in it. Notch out the bottom of the bumper for the brackets to clear so that the bumper sits level.

I just bought mine from 4 Wheel Parts. Thanks for all the additional info that I forgot. Maybe we can have someone move this to the useful threads area.

Back