Questions about our 4 wheel drives: | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions about our 4 wheel drives:

racprops

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLT 4.6 4WD

My Explorer is a 03 4Wheel Drive with a 4.6.

Can we run in 4 Wheel High on city streets?

My 03 Has a limited slip rear end so what is the front differancnal??

I find when taking turns in 4WD I hear noises, groins like.

Can we switch in and out of 4WD drive at any speed?

Rich

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You can’t run high on pavement. (Unless it’s snow covered, of course)

Open differentials in the front of all Explorers.

I think the manual has a speed limit for the 4wd switching, it’s fairly fast, but all that happens is the clutch locks. Everything is already spinning at speed.

Rats, so 4 wheel drive in a 03 Explorer is a lot of weight and fuss but more or less worthless except in very bad weather...So if it ever gives me any problem I think ripping it out makes total sense for my use.

I never go off road and have hit bad weather about 6 times in my 55 years of driving were it would be needed.

How hard is it to convert its transmission to to wheel drive?

Rich

What’s your switch say? Does it have a 2wd high? Does it have a 4 auto?

Mount that aux OD unit in place of the transfer case

Rich
Yes you can run at highway speeds in 4x4 but try not to do it on dry pavement, and never shift in while spinning.Same with shifting out, not while spinning. Your front diff should be open. Are the noises in two wheel drive or four? It could be your rear diff clutches or it could be bearings in the front. I think you have cv shafts in the front, check the boots for tears and leaking grease as well as the wheel bearings. Hope this helps.

Rats, so 4 wheel drive in a 03 Explorer is a lot of weight and fuss but more or less worthless except in very bad weather...So if it ever gives me any problem I think ripping it out makes total sense for my use.

I never go off road and have hit bad weather about 6 times in my 55 years of driving were it would be needed.

Rich
If I remember right a 4x4 is 300 to 500lbs more than a 2x4. They are pretty reliable when the fluids are maintained. Somebody else probably could answer better about the second gen front end, but I think if you remove the front diff and drive shafts there is no way to tighten your front wheel bearing hubs. You would end up having to change out the front knuckles. As for the back there would be an adapter and probably a longer drive shaft.

This is a 3rd Gen.

Rich
no! dont run 4 on city streets. you can do it, but going in a straight line. it can cause driveline windup, which is to be avoided and stresses components. since teh 2 fronts want to go the same speed but one has to go further than the other. if its snowy dirt road etc then 4 is good since the surface has "give" to it. and if you have to e 4405 TC you can go into 4h at any speed iirc since all it does is energize the clutch (if it says 4a iirc you have the 4405) but 4L should be shifted at a stop in n or p

Rich
some like the bii have used dummy cases for rwd. however these newer ones iirc have a rws tihousing that can be swapped in and different driveshafts. then the front diff goodies etc have to be removed and replaced with 2wd component such as spindle

I assume the tailshaft would need swapped, which would require a transmission tear down, it’s not just an extension housing change.

I assume the tailshaft would need swapped, which would require a transmission tear down, it’s not just an extension housing change.
His transmission was just rebuilt. He discussed swapping in a 6R80 but decided against it in part to keep the 4 wheel drive as is.

Oof.

Mount that aux OD unit in place of the transfer case
what aux OD unit? was this the guy who was talking about it before?

what aux OD unit? was this the guy who was talking about it before?
I'm curious to see the results. I've been following his projects, he has great ideas.

Back