Questions on hooking some aux lighting up (neons) and which relay to buy. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Questions on hooking some aux lighting up (neons) and which relay to buy.

Hey all,

I'm probably going to be putting in a Underbody Neon kit as well as neons under the dash in front and under the seats in back.

My plan is to have the interior neons turn on automaticly when the interior dome lights come on and also via a switch. For the underbody I want to have those come on anytime the puddle lights in the mirror are on and also via a switch.

My plan is to run a 10 gauge powe wire inside the vehicle (fused at the battery) and have it hook into one of these fuse panels:
Fuse Panel

Also thinking of getting three relays (one for front neons, rear neons, and underbodys). Bringing +12v to those from the fuse panel listed above, and then the signal wire from the dome lights and puddle light mirrors. Then run power from the fuse panel through the switches into the lights also so they can be turned on anytime w/ a switch and will automaticly come on from the signal to the relay.

Question I have is:

A) Does the setup above sound like it should work okay?
B) What relay's should I buy for this? I basicly understand how a relay works but not sure which one to get. If possible I would like to order one from Mouser becuase thats where I'm getting the switches and a few other things from.

Oh one more question. Do they make relays that would operate from a momentary switch, so they get a signal and turn on, then if they get a signal again they turn off? Just wondering.

Thanks for any suggestions guys.
-Matt

Back