Quick question on HU install into a 98 Mounty w/ Mach Audio | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Quick question on HU install into a 98 Mounty w/ Mach Audio

MrMatt

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Mountaineer V8
Hey All,

I'm in the process of upgrading the stock stereo system in my 98 Moutaineer w/ the Mach audio system.

I'm going to be putting in a new HU here soon, probably the Alpine CDA-9833 or CDA-9831. Anyway I found the dash kit and I believe I need the Metra 70-1771 wiring harness to attach the new HU to the factory harness in the dash. Any other harnesses I will need?

Also I'll be adding a new amp and subs so I want to unhook the factory sub and amp, is that done w/ this harness or do I have to tear the rear panel off and unhook it there?

Thanks
-Matt

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, that's the only harness you need. Mach doesn't have an amp running the speakers, so I think you should be well off.

As far as the subs/amp go, I'd just remove the entire setup and get it out of there. Since you plan on adding aftermarket subs/amps, it's just another paper weight sitting in your truck, I'd remove it all.

Also metra 70-1771 is same as scosche FD16 at walmart. Walmart is less $

Well I get the metra harnesses pretty cheap so I usualy just go with them. I picked up the 'Vehicle Specific' harness and dash kit the other day, I'm going to call and see if they make a radio specific harness for the Clarion 745mp if not I'll just have to wire it up on my own as I think that may be the HU I purchase.

Thanks for the help

-Matt

I would just like to confirm that's the only harness I need (The 1771)? Looks as though that has one connector, and the back of my factory HU their are three I believe.

Just want to make sure
-Matt

I don't have the Mach but there are three harnesses. One 16 pin (pwer& speakers), one 20 pin (rear seat controls) and one 8 pin I think for the changer if you have one. When you replace the HU you only need the 16 pin one and the corresponding 70-1771 adapter. The other two harnesses will hang loose behind the dash.

cool I thought that was the case but thought I would double check. Thanks for the help.

you have everything you need.

hit me up on aim when you get a chance

Back