• Register Today It's free!

Rack and Pinion question

Stangyog

Reaction score
City, State
South Eastern PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Exp. Sport 5 Speed
I have a 1996 2-door Explorer Sport, that needs some front end work, one thing is ther rack and pinion replaced. I've looked at AutoZone and they list one that says it will fit a 4-door. My question is, are the same rack and pinions the same on a 2-door and a 4-door? They don't seem to know.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think so. I went to FordPartsGiant.com and looked up the diagrams and here's what they listed:

Gear Assy - Steering **7Z-3504-GERM Parts List No. 23 Warranty Eligible, SPR-JE,KH, 1995/ 1997 ; Ford Series 1
--
$582.19

Granted, I don't have your VIN to double check, but there were only two part numbers for the steering gear assembly and the first was discontinued and the second was a supercession.

I would call a Ford dealer and ask to make sure. Also, if you can afford it, I would highly recommend getting an actual Motorcraft replacement. For something as vital as the steering I wouldn't fully trust any aftermarket supplier. The biggest difference is that the Ford part is actually tested by the engineers. The fact that they can last over 215,000 miles is a testament to the quality. But don't get me started on EPMS, that's just crap. The Autozone one is probably made in china and those parts aren't nearly as thoroughly tested as the Ford parts.

I work in product development and validation (not for Ford though) and I can tell you, we test components to their limits and well past their expected lifetime to ensure they're the highest quality possible. We have no problem sending crappy parts back to the design engineers.

physically they are the same. the difference in them is one doesn't have the same turning ratio then the other (lock to lock)

Back