• Register Today It's free!

radiator coolant

crosstown

Reaction score
City, State
St.Paul Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
i just have one quick question about radiator anti-freeze coolant. the guy at the car shop told me that explorer has a kind of special recommendation for radiator anti-freeze coolant with somekind of special chemical mixture. he suggest that i find out what ford suggests for radiator anti-freeze coolant before i buy it. does any of you know what this is about? would a normal brand radiator anti-freeze coolant work?
i live in st.paul minnesota (so so cold) and it's 2000 explorer xls.
thanks so much guys. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Normal coolant is fine. Only thing I saw was don't use Ford extended life engine coolant (orange color)

From the stories I've heard........IMHO:

IF the mfn calls for, "Ford extended life engine coolant (orange color)" then use it......not the green stuff.

IF, it says to use the green stuff, then do that.

Why: I suspect that the engineers have figured out that the longevity of your motor, can be best served, by using what they recommend. SIMPLE

Aloha, Mark

Yes, I agree about the cold here in MN. I am having cooling system issues of my own right now. I may have to replace my thermostat. My coolant level is low and I am going to fill it up tonight. I just use a mix of the green anti-freeze (I use prestone), and distilled water. I use 60 anti freeze/40 water mix. 50/50 is reccomended, but, I like to protect myself just in case it gets a little too cold.

Yes, I agree about the cold here in MN. I am having cooling system issues of my own right now. I may have to replace my thermostat. My coolant level is low and I am going to fill it up tonight. I just use a mix of the green anti-freeze (I use prestone), and distilled water. I use 60 anti freeze/40 water mix. 50/50 is reccomended, but, I like to protect myself just in case it gets a little too cold.

Or if you live 3 hours further north of where I live, then you run 90/10 anti-freeze/water :p:

Or if you live 3 hours further north of where I live, then you run 90/10 anti-freeze/water :p:

Is that really what you run up there? I can totally understand it if so.

Quality antifreeze will work. The extended life versions are better quality products.

I don't have major cold issues here, so I use as little antifreeze as possible. Water cools much better than antifreeze, and is cheaper. Water Weter by Redline is great for anti-corrosion and lubricating the water pump. I love the orange stuff, it looks clean always.

Use as little antifreeze as possible to achieve the cold level needed. We have reached 24 below here, and with very old coolant in my first car, I had no issues.(The coolant tested to 10 degrees above zero, 1981). Good luck,

If it were me, I would use the green coolant, just like I use in Florida ( of course at a different mix ratio ).

Good luck ....

When was the last time you changed the coolant? It should be changed , if it is the green type which I think it is, every two years. Doing a rad drain and refill of 50/50 mix then driving for a couple of days and doing it again will be sure to get all of the old depleted fluid out. A 50/50 mix has been fine for MI weather but look at the chart and decide for situation.

Where can you take old coolant to get disposed of properly?

Where can you take old coolant to get disposed of properly?

Call your local Jiffy Lube / Express Lube type service center.

Is that really what you run up there? I can totally understand it if so.

I'm personally at 70/30, although I have seen people who run 80/20.

A bit further north, Dawson City - Yukon, I see a lot people who run just straight antifreeze and no water. They make some sort of additive that you add in that allows straight anti-freeze to be used without any negatives effects.

When it hits below -60 Celcius (-51 F), you don't have much choice up there I suppose.

thanks so much for all the replies guys. it's great. :D

Back