• Register Today It's free!

Radiator fluid leak

mesa 33

Reaction score
City, State
Clearwater,Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 xlt
I drive a 98 xlt, last night while stopped at a red light alot of steam was coming out of the grill and pass side of the hood. I looked under the hood and with the little light that i had i think i found where it was leaking from. I dont know what is it called but right next to the washer fluid and radiator fluid box its about 9 inches to the right of it and its to the left of the spark plugs. There is a bell kinda thing with a plug thats on top and on the bottom of it theres a black piece that comes straight down and has a metal rod going through it. Thats where i notcied what it looked and smelled like to be radiator fluid dripping off of it down to the exhaust manifold making it have steam everywhere. Now is this some kind overflow system where it drains it out? Because a couple days ago i added fluid to the box because it was low. Then this morning i found a the fluid on the drive way. I havent driven it since last night. Any help in what this is and how it can be fixed will be much appreciated. thnks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yep... a common problem. Its your heater control valve. Simple change, drain the fluid out of rad enough to lower the level below the hoses. Slide off the hoses / clamps (you might get a bit of drip... try and keep the hoses upright as much as possible or plug with something.

Thnks for the help i got a new one changed it, jacked the front of the truck up, took the hoses off suprisingly nothing came out of them, and i didnt drain them, no mist or anything. Put it all back together turned heater on and it is fine so far. Thnks again for the help

This Might sound bad coming from an Airplane mech. ( I Hate working cars ) But I cant seem to find this unit. I have replaced the water pump, thermo stat, upper and lower hoses, still finding low coolant, and its not pulling and fluid out of the Res. No smell in the cab. No white smoke, no leaks or puddles on the ground? so maybe its this valve or not. Pressure test shows no loss of pressure. Any help would be great

Follow the heater hoses from the firewall to the engine & you should see it. Also could be your radiator cap. They are cheap and probably should be replaced every 8 to 10 yrs. or so.

Check to see if the hose running to the reservoir is clogged. Try blowing air through it from the radiator cap end and listen for bubbles in the reservoir. Cleaning it out will most likely require pulling most of the hose loose and perhaps snaking with a straightened wire hanger, but once clear the coolant should be pulled into the radiator as it should if the radiator cap is ok.

Ok well I did replace the Rad. Cap. Well tonight I came home and stopped the X and I heard a swishing sound coming from behide the glove box!! I am guessing heater Core? But I dont smell or feel any wet spots

Back