Radiator Fluid Leaking From Above Spark Plug Cap *Video* | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Radiator Fluid Leaking From Above Spark Plug Cap *Video*

bluesq

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Explorer Limited 4x4
I saw some white smoke coming from the engine bay, popped it open and took a video since I was a bit confused by it. In the video you can see it looks like coolant is dripping from the spark plug cap. Since that doesn't make any sense I imagine it's either dripping down the lead or coming from the "T" junction above it. The thing that has me confused is that the spark plug cap itself is dry and I don't see the source of the leak. Maybe someone with a keen eye can tell where the source is.

https://youtu.be/5xjdc9Av8oM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does look like the drip is coming from the T fitting above it plus it looks suspicious with the what looks like dried coolant. Its is hard to tell from the video but thats where I would start looking first.

I think you could pressurize the radiator with a radiator pressure tester and it should drip. With doing that you could feel for the wet spot with your hand without being burned by hot coolant. You may even be able too feel it with the car cold and not pressurizing the system.

You may even be able too feel it with the car cold and not pressurizing the system.

Today I showed my buddies the video then we went outside to look and I couldn't reproduce the problem. Engine was up to temp, tried with heater on and off, even revved up - nothing, not a single drop. There is still some coolant in the reservoir. If it wasn't for the video they would have though I was seeing things. Now that I think of it, I shot that video with the engine off which is what it was when I noticed it.

Speaking of that T-fitting, is that entire 3 hose assembly one piece from the factory? If so, anyone have an OEM # or part description?

Do you have rear hear?

I think I found a solution for 6.99, istead of buying the whole assembly from ford for 186.00, o'reily auto part # murry84757

84757.jpg

Yep, that's the solution on mine too. It's been good for the past 5 years and if it breaks, I have one spare in my garage. Sure beats $200 for the whole Motorcraft assembly.

Very common problem with those heater hose T's. Problem on the Expeditions too.

If this is the T-fitting on the V8 with rear heat, Dorman has a replacement assembly 626-551 that's about $85 as compared to $200+ for factory.

Dorman Products - 626-551

626-551-007.JPG

Back